Search the forum,

Discuss Back up to combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

lordyjordy111

Gas Engineer
Hi

I went to a landlords today and the guy who had installed the combi boiler (in loft) had hooked up Red ring power stream 10.8kw instant water heater as a back up to the combi boiler.
It was isolated and drained whilst the combi was working, and connected in a similar way you would by pass a water softener.
If the combi broke down the landlord would turn the combi off and open the valves to the heater and flip the switch.
The landlord has actually done this and loved it - no more angry tenant.

He said the shower didn't warm up at all and bath took about half hour to fill. But it meant the tenant could have a hot bath which gave him time......

Any one seen this before. Or any other good ideas for back up hot to a combi apart from an electric shower.
I find most customers don't want an electric shower as they are basically rubbish- which they are imo

Thanks in advance

@Riley yes that's right but the principle is the same is it not? Mains Cold water in hot water out..... just never seen this before but seems a good idea I have to be honest. I sure there will be pitfalls though. Just wondered what you guys thought

The shower wouldnt work as the heater will work similarly to an electric shower where it regulates the pressure down and the cold mains from the shower side will over power it.
30 mins running a bath will rape the electricity meter but it's better than having cold water.

I know but what if the unit isn't drained after use. Left with water in it for an extended period then opened again. Obviously not 100% sure this is a problem but have my reservations.
There is definitely a huge market for something that can easily back up a combi...
Yeah I see your point, and if it's in a loft, the temp of the water could easily rise above 20°

Sounds like the landlord paid for a back-up instead of just buying a decent combi in the first place?
Ok I'm being a little facetious but still, a heating emergency is far more critical than a HW one and yet the landlord still has to turn up and turn on the "back-up" water heater instead of the tenant just using an electric shower. Same sort of cost, same sort of install, doesn't make the same sort of sense to me.

Not gas qualified but Mistral do an oil boiler combi with an immersion heater backup in the event of a burner or oil problem. Never seen one personally but do know this is available on their top end combi’s

Electricity from the grid is way more expensive than natural gas. However oil or liquified gas
is almost as expensive so the plus side of this arrangement can be seen. What kw is it ? what is its flow rate ? is it specified for continuous use and is the wiring up,to spec are the potential pit falls in my opinion. Intresting Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Reply to Back up to combi boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

PLUMBING ADVICE NEEDED Combi boiler in our house, downstairs water seems to be piping hot. Upstairs basin, bath and shower only ever seems to be lukewarm - so much so that no one even wants to bath as it never gets hot enough! Open to suggestions as to what it might be and if anyone can...
Replies
Views
Hi, Just had a "Main Eco Compact" combi boiler installed as the Biasi one failed. It seems to work fine, gives a hot bath, i dont ever use the radiators or kitchen hot tap. (no point in upping the landlords gas bill for no reason) On day 4, the pressure is below 1. I filled it back up to >1, but...
Replies
Views
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater systems in the house. This boiler was replaced by a combi boiler as it only heats the lounge and master bed and provides hot water to en-suite bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Is it worth replacing a Potterton gold 9kw electric boiler with a hot water storage tank for a new Electric Combi Boiler ? Would there a reduction is electric consumption and therefore a saving ? Please advise
Replies
Views
J
Boiler broke over Xmas and needs replacing and I’m tempted to move away from our 1985 gravity fed system and get a combi as many other parts of that auger appear to be at the end of their life and need replacing. Our flow is 16l/min so not enough for unvented but we like the idea of a combi as...
Replies
Views
Jack Canfield
J
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock