Search the forum,

Discuss Back circulation?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Went to a job the other week and it's been bugging me! In the end the boss went to it and diagnosed it as back circulation.

Basically - 3 storey house. Rads on 3rd floor were hot all the time whether heating or dhw was in demand or not. Rads elsewhere were off when not in demand.

I'm assuming the rads on that floor are zoned, they'd have to be, right?

So I start looking for zone valves. Only found one. Only found 1 room stat also. Turned off the programmer and stat and was till getting 240v on the switched live from the zone valve (I replaced the zone valve before I re-tested it).

To me, there is a wiring issue somewhere as shouldn't be getting anything on switched live on the zone valve if the programmer & stat are off. Or the programmer could be faulty (I didn't actually check this at the time for reasons of not knowing how to at the time - I know now).

I am still convinced there has to be another zone valve somewhere.

So, in lamen terms what is back circulation and why would my boss diagnose this as back circulation. It doesn't make sense to me.

Cheers

The cylinder return should be the last tee on the primary return before it goes back to the boiler, if it has not been installed this way then you can find rads heat up when hot water is called for.

What floor is HW cylinder on?

Check the microswitch on 2 ports arnt stuck on, if your not sure if theres another 2 port hidden somewhere you can always look at the wiring to see if theres any extra wiring there that looks like it shouldn't be there if it was just a basic S plan, also you could follow the primary flow off boiler and see if it tees off before MV's and then disappears off elsewhere.

I'm assuming the rads on that floor are zoned, they'd have to be, right?
Depends on when the system was installed and the total floor area.

So I start looking for zone valves. Only found one. Only found 1 room stat also. Turned off the programmer and stat and was till getting 240v on the switched live from the zone valve (I replaced the zone valve before I re-tested it).
That suggest it is not zoned.

Did you test the brown (to make sure no feed from stat) as well as grey and orange wires?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Back circulation?? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All, Looking for a bit of advice on the best way to pipe this. - 24kW Worcester regular boiler in kitchen, approx. 9 years old - unvented tank, zone vavles, pump, expansion is on first floor in airing cupboard - Currently piped as S-plan. - Hive controls. - Would like to fit 6-zone...
Replies
Views
I have a CH circuit on a 2 way zone valve. It’s a long circuit with 15 rads on it but rather than shutting down the last 5 rads in the circuit when not in use which is 90% of the time, can I put a 3 zone valve on the flow after the tenth rad and divert to a new T piece on the return to...
Replies
Views
I would like to add an additional radiator to our central heating system. We have an attached double garage converted to a man-cave and workshop (with dividing stud partition wall) currently not covered by the central heating. The former is not currently user friendly in winter, and we get by...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Glow-worm back boiler which is giving me grief (I would have upgraded it by now but its a listed building and there's issues with venting through the external wall and I'm reluctant to go with an electric boiler instead (because of the consumption cost)). It's a sealed system. The...
Replies
Views
On my Valliant eco tec boiler the pressure guage is on red when cold . I drain a radiator to correct to pressure and it works fine and stays in the safe zone . When I switch boiler off the next day it’s back in the red It could be one of the valves leaking . Can I take the loop off , which...
Replies
Views
Oliver1234
O
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock