Search the forum,

Discuss Back Boiler Advice for oil fired central heating and 2 separate solid fuel fireplaces in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

H150GTT

Hi Folks
I am looking for some advice and hope someone can help.
I have just bought a property and I am looking at having the the heating system modified.
Basically I have a bungalow with oil fired central heating and 2 separate solid fuel fireplaces with separate chimneys.
One is in a small snug room and the other in a living/dining room (open plan large room)
There is a solid fuel fire with a back boiler in the snug room and a normal solid fuel fire in the living room.

What I want to do is remove the back boiler from the snug room as I wont use this room very much and fit a normal solid fuel fireplace in its place.
But! (Now for the tricky bit) I want to fit a multi-fuel stove with back boiler in the living room and join this into my old back boiler pipework.

I have exposed the pipework around the back boiler in the snug room and have found it to have 4 connections. 2 off 28mm and 2 off 22mm.

IMAG0073.jpg

Basically what I want to know is
a) what needs done to disconnect the back boiler and
b) Is it even possible to do what I am thinking with the stove.

I have had a look at the copper cylinder in the hop press and it seems to have 4 large connections to the side of it. 2 on one side and 2 on the other. There are other small connections to it as well. I am just not sure if it has a one or 2 internal coils.
Underneath the copper cylinder there is a pump which looks to me like a circulation pump for pumping the water from the back boiler around the radiators. This is operated manually from a switch.

IMAG0081.jpg

In the roof-space there is one large water tank (Main water supply) and only one small water tank (heating system)

Sorry to bombard ya's with so much info just I thought the more detail I could give the easier it would be to figure it all out.
I have never lit the fire in the snug room which would have been the most sensible thing to do to figure it all out. Am afraid it is past that now as you can see from the pictures.

PS!!!! I don't intend to do any of this work myself but I would like to hear what you guys think so that when I do get someone to come and look at it that I know that they know what they are talking about as I have had one guy already tell me he wanted to blank off all the pipes. I was concerned that it would need vented so I wouldn't let him do it.
Any advice / help would be fantastic

Many Thanks
Wayne

so you have solid fuel back boiler and oil boiler for heating, and water? you need a techie round to see exactly what you have and take it from there. multi fuel fire could connect in to aa hw system but needs various rules applying so have a chat with a hetas techie as well.

Agree with above. Even a guy well experienced in soilid fuel link ups will have to take a long look at every part of your heating system. Also your chimney will need checked & no doubt a liner.
Looking good though - you may already have the basic pipework there, but it will need to be checked to see how good the work actually is & if the old boiler is still part of the system. The new stove will need heat leak provision plus thermostatic control to pump & vent in room.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies folks,

Yes the oil fired central heating heats the water and radiators together, the back boiler heats the water and then I think requires the pump to circulate it to the radiators when the water is too hot. I think this because this is how my last property worked although it had a thermostat to operate the pump. But then again this is assumption and we all know what that leads too.....

The back boiler is only around 5 ft away from the water tank. (The house is approx 30 years old in case that helps)

Anyway thanks again for the replies, time to hit the yellow pages for some contacts.
Regards
Wayne

word of mouth much better than yellow pages half of whom are nationwide companies whl all say they are local, go to oftec and hetas sites for their local operatives

why not install a heat only stove and save your money, the best way to join oil and solid fuel is thermal store, dunsley neutraliser, h2 panel all will be expensive to buy and install

why not install a heat only stove and save your money, the best way to join oil and solid fuel is thermal store, dunsley neutraliser, h2 panel all will be expensive to buy and install

Yea I know where you are coming from but everyone I have spoken too that has fitted a heat only stove round here regret not spending the extra to join it up to the central heating. The way they seen it what's the point of heating one room only with it and then have to burn oil to heat the water and the rest of the house as well.

Thanks for the advice though, good to hear what everyone's opinions are. I will have to do some research on the system you mentioned.
I don't mind spending a bit of money on it to have it right as heating oil isn't going to be getting any cheaper and we don't plan to be moving from here so its going to be a life long investment hopefully...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Back Boiler Advice for oil fired central heating and 2 separate solid fuel fireplaces in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi We have a vented oil-fired heating system with a coal fire back boiler, this is going to be changed to a sealed pressurized system tomorrow and I believe, they are decommissioning the back boiler. I have only discovered today there is no access to the water jacket, so will it be good enough...
Replies
Views
Firstly I won't be touching or going anything... I only want advice if this is right.. my partners dad has a aga that is solid fuel unregulated heat source and a oil boiler. The problem the hit water cylinder doesn't have a stat thus why the hot water is roasting hot but there is a pipe stat on...
Replies
Views
A bit of an unusual topic, as these are very rare in the UK. I went back to Poland to commission, test and tune the 20kW solid fuel boiler and the domestic heat exchanger for the hot water tank (300litres). Old heating system with steel 2-inch pipes and cast iron segmented rads We were warned...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a Vailant EcoTec Boiler with a Megaflo. These are controlled by a Honeywell controller. I have one 3 port diverter, where one of the outputs goes to a 2 port diverter prior to the Megaflo (I believe this is some safety feature). I have run into an intermittent problem where some...
Replies
Views
Hey there I'm looking for some advice on a potential issue I'm having with an old back boiler. So just moved into my parents' old house with my partner, it's a terrace with back to back chimneys in the kitchen and the sitting room. The fireplace in the kitchen is the old back boiler that hasn't...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock