Search the forum,

Discuss Attaching a Water Filter - Help with Fittings (Complete novice) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plonkerplumber

Hi people,

I am trying to do a basic plumbing installation, and would like some pointers, as i have never done any plumbing in my life, and i want to do the job right and as simply as possible, without fuss, and preferrably without calling a plumber out. I want a challenge! I want to use push-fit (sharkbite) connectors, and do not want to solder or heat anything.

I have bought a water device/filter which i want to install on my cold water pipe feed in my appartment ( in Greece). The product is meant to be installed in the water entrance to the building (after the water meter). I will be putting it inside the appartment in the only accessible place which is where the main cold water feed comes through from a wall and enters a small room where the water boiler is, plus a washing washing, plus shower, toilet, basic, and pipes go to the other rooms from there. So I know where it needs to go, but i want to understand exactly what connections are needed. The filter i want to attach has Entry/Exit screw threads: 3⁄4” and/or 1” BSPT, the manual says. It comes with 2 plastic white diameter changers for pipe screwing to allow a 3/4" pipe to be screwed in, if i understand right. I want to cut the water pipe, attach the device, and join the cutted pipe ends with sharkbite couplers (see photo), but i am trying to understand some basics...

My water pipe looks like it is 15mm (see photo), so i reckon i would need a 15mm Compression x 3/4 Inch BSP Male adaptor/coupler, which would screw into the white plastic 3/4" diameter changer thing supplied with the filter. Right?? The diameter changer part is plastic too but is replaceable if something goes wrong. See photo. Incidentally the 1" thread inside the filter device is plastic and part of the main unit, so i dont really want to mess that up.

So i imagine i get a 15mm copper pipe (See photo), cut it, and insert it inside the compression adapter which is screwed into the plastic diameter changer inside the filter device. I will simply get 15mm sharkbite couplings and elbows from the uk, as opposed to US 1/2" inch equivalent model which is not compatible with 15mm pipe, as i read on their US site. I don't mind paying a bit more for these fittings, as i want to have this flexibility, and if i need to take the filter off i can just detach it, and push a plain pipe in place with 2 sharbite couplers.

My queries are, ...is my logic sound?? perhaps there is an easier way to go. ... is my water pipe really 15mm?? what about the thickness?? Does this play a role for my job here??? Will everything go smoothly for me, a novice?? The manual of the filter says ,"The thread needs to be covered by a thread sealant for use with drinking water before making the connection (teflon tape)." - where do i put this??? The manual also states that flat seals need to be used when using the size adaptor - can someone clarify this???

I am hoping this all going to be easy, but i am checking all things in case there is something basic that i am missing, as i have zero experience in plumbing. I have researched some things and i like the sharkbite easiness and flexibility, so would rather go with those. But they have models in inches and others in mm (no inches to mm converters from what i know), so i want to be sure i have what i will need.

Thanks very much in advance!

Plonkerplumber

Attachments

• sharbitecoupler15mm.jpg
    sharbitecoupler15mm.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 17
  • 15mmcompressionx3:4inchbsp.png
    15mmcompressionx3:4inchbsp.png
    98.7 KB · Views: 19
  • waterpipe.jpg
    waterpipe.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 19
  • diameterchanger.jpg
    diameterchanger.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 20
Welcome along Might be better to post details of the product you intend to install

I have uploaded 3 more photos of

The "Hardless NG" water filter
Installation notes page 1
Installation notes page 2

Hope it clarifies what i was explaining.

Thanks!

Attachments

• HARDLESSNG2.jpg
    HARDLESSNG2.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 17
  • HARDLESSNG1.jpg
    HARDLESSNG1.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 18
  • hardless4-570x760.jpg
    hardless4-570x760.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 17
it does everything, removes scale, chlorine, hardness and doesn't affect ph or ever reduce pressure, probably not worth putting on in the first place!!

Well, opinions aside. I am hoping someone can just advise me on the connections i am enquiring about, irrespective of what the unit purports to do. Thanks.

Meant with the greatest of respect mate those instructions are naff. With no plumbing experience I can envisage issues. I think you'll work out better with a plumber

Filter brought from USA with additional parts from the UK and installed in Greece, recipe for disaster I reckon.

Male Threaded Connectors (Parallel Thread) from SharkBite Plumbing Supply
+
Brass Bush 1" x ½" | Brassware Sundries | Screwfix.com
+
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65i2vGWi3AE

My way means you have the shortest possible length to cut out of existing 15mm pipe with least joints to make (they don't make a reducing MI to Copper but other makes will), the clip is 15 & it looks like it fits it correctly.
I would look to fit the flat washers before screwing in the brass bushes but you will need to see how it all fits together first.
You ask does the thickness matter answer is No only that of the installer.

And will it go smoothly? who knows we ask ourselves that very same question every time we go do some work, it is what makes plumbing such a challenging occupation.

Best of luck.

My way means you have the shortest possible length to cut out of existing 15mm pipe with least joints to make (they don't make a reducing MI to Copper but other makes will), the clip is 15 & it looks like it fits it correctly.
I would look to fit the flat washers before screwing in the brass bushes but you will need to see how it all fits together first.

Thanks a lot Chris, and thanks for that male threaded connector fitting suggestion -- actually, i had just found that fitting myself on the uk.RS-online site before i saw your post, so you confirmed to me my next line of direction. Actually, i prefer to go with the elbow version of that fitting for space reasons.. i trust that would that do the same job, no??

i would then want to join the pipe with another set of 15mm sharkbite elbows, which will allow the pipe to twist away from the wall so the filter unit is not squashed up. The unit is also designed to go slanted at an angle if needed. But basically you answered and confirmed what i needed to know, with the teflon tape link as well - many many thanks! I feel more confident now that i bounced my ideas and got good feedback.

If something fails, i plan to just pop the cutted pipe back with two sharbite couplings. If that fails too, i'll call out a plumber. But, i feel i am up to the challenge...!

Thanks very much!

Attachments

• 90degmaleelbow.png
    90degmaleelbow.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 20
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Attaching a Water Filter - Help with Fittings (Complete novice) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock