Search the forum,

Discuss Atag One Controller or similar? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm looking to replace my combi boiler and have probably decided on an Atag boiler - IC Economiser 35 plus.

I cannot decide which smart controller to go for - either Atag One or something similar like Nest.

Can anyone help me out in choosing please?

Hive will not randomly bring the boiler on during the night.

So you're saying you have come across the Atag One doing so?

Is Hive better than Nest in your opinion? However I don't think Hive supports OpenTherm and I want that function.

Last edited:
Not atag one a pita I have one believe me you dont want one I am swopping it for a nest paired to a Google home mini , cant fault the boiler though . Kop

It will not pair with the virgin network very easily , is difficult to set up and the app is not user friendly

It will not pair with the virgin network very easily , is difficult to set up and the app is not user friendly

Thanks. I managed to get a look at the app and agree that it is a bit clunky. It does at least have a boost function which I’m surprised Nest does not. I thought the Atag One might work best though as designed to work with its boilers. I believe it allows remote diagnostics but is that necessary?

I’ve now had 3 quotes for an Atag boiler with Atag One or Nest - mostly the IC Economiser 35 Plus and the 27 Plus. Two quotes are fairly close but one is way higher. It’s replacing a combi in the same position - only difference would be running the condensing pipe and running cabling for the controller. Boiler is in a garage.

The 35 Plus is £2650 or £2845 ( 27 Plus would be £175 cheaper ). The one that’s way out is just under £3800 for the 27 Plus.

Have I got two reasonable quotes and one very odd quote or have I got one reasonable quote and 2 amazing quotes?

Go with the 35 IC economiser far better hot water delivery , One controller look good has some good features but I can't get on with it swapped from sky to virgin and hadn't worked since, upgraded my phone and lost the app tried downloading again and reconnecting but no joy , just use it as a manual stat till I get time to swop it . Good luck kop

Go with the 35 IC economiser far better hot water delivery ,

Yes I think that would be my preferred choice. I know you haven’t seen the job but based on what I’ve said, do those 2 quotes look reasonable?

I just cannot fathom how the cheaper boiler is £1000 dearer than the other two.

One controller look good has some good features but I can't get on with it swapped from sky to virgin and hadn't worked since, upgraded my phone and lost the app tried downloading again and reconnecting but no joy , just use it as a manual stat till I get time to swop it . Good luck kop

I’ve come across pairing problems with Virgin before so maybe that’s more the issue with yours?

Depends on engineer prices and if VAT is applied. Every engineer is different. The cheapest quote isn’t necessarily the best and vice versa.

Was any of them recommended to you?

Depends on engineer prices and if VAT is applied. Every engineer is different. The cheapest quote isn’t necessarily the best and vice versa.

I was actually considering the middle price as he has fitted around 30 Atag boilers before. The cheapest one hasn’t as yet although ATAG said that they have one of their own engineers on site too at the first installation.

The dearest one probably has the most experience with Atag boilers but I can’t justify an extra £1000 for a cheaper boiler.

Was any of them recommended to you?

No personal recommendations as no-one I know has had one installed. It’s been Worcester Bosch boilers which I was going to go with till I did some further research into plastic parts and aluminium heat exchangers.

I’ve been going by reviews online and how the engineer came over. The middle one has impressed me so far with his knowledge and communication. Even the cheapest one has been good so far with communication.

Have you looked at Vaillant?

Yes I have and also Viessmann. All seem to get a good name and have the stainless steel heat exchanger. I’m just leaning slightly more towards Atag with its 10 year standard warranty and lifetime heat exchanger warranty. I know Viessmann can do 10 year warranty as well through accredited installers.

So can Vaillant. A heat exchanger is only as good as all the other parts though to be honest.

So can Vaillant. A heat exchanger is only as good as all the other parts though to be honest.

Yes I agree. I've looked at all the better ones and got quotes for them all. Difficult to make a choice at times as every installer has their own favourites but I've tried to choose from firms that don't just stick to one make.

Do the quotes include a magnetic filter?
What boiler is being replaced?
A new gas run might be needed hence the higher quote.

Maybe ? , Atag deal direct with the Installer I am registered with them I dont think either quote is far off although agreed £3800 for the 27 is a bit much, go with who you feel most comfortable with . Kop

Do the quotes include a magnetic filter?

Yes in all of them.

What boiler is being replaced?

A Vokera Linea 28. Yes it will need a run of pipe to nearest drain but all are aware of that and quoted for it.

A new gas run might be needed hence the higher quote.

No new gas run needed nor quoted for in any of the three. I’ve a 22mm pipe running into the garage going down to 15mm to connect to boiler. If any new pipe is needed it’s only for the last small section and all are aware of this.

The only quote I have for a new pipe run is the very first and that was for Worcester Bosch. The engineer didn’t seem to look past the 15mm pipe that he saw going into the boiler itself. All the others, including the engineer who checked out my appliances after a recent SGN pipe upgrade work in the street, noted the 22mm pipe.

I am registered with them I dont think either quote is far off

Thanks.

although agreed £3800 for the 27 is a bit much,

Yes that was the one that was way out.

go with who you feel most comfortable with . Kop

Possibly the one that was the dearest would have been my 1st choice but I can’t justify that extra cost.

The middle one is a close second to who I feel comfortable with. He has taken a lot of time to answer all my questions.

Just need to make my mind up on the smart controller.

Maybe ? , Atag deal direct with the Installer I am registered with them I dont think either quote is far off although agreed £3800 for the 27 is a bit much, go with who you feel most comfortable with . Kop

Can I ask you a couple more questions please?

The installer who gave me the quote for £3800 has now come back with a new price after I said that an extra £1000 was too much of a difference. He said that his quote was including a price rise that Atag were putting on at the end of the month - is this true?

His new price after taking off that increase and removing a few non-essentials ( why include them then??) is just under £3200 and is for the 35 Plus. He does charge VAT though whereas the other two are non VAT registered. Still £300/£500 dearer but at least closer. I'm just a little wary of someone who can drop their prices by around £600 and include the better boiler.

My other question surrounds the smart controller. I'm being told by one of them that to use OpenTherm, I must use the Atag controller as otherwise it would invalidate the warranty. So if I chose Nest he couldn't connect it to OpenTherm connections. Again is this true?

Yes to the price rise. I have had a letter. (Not sure how much though off the top of my head)
Speak to ATAG themselves if I was you. Just to make sure.

Yes there has been a price increase the first one in 4 years I can't see a problem with fitting a nest I have one sitting here ready to swap , as I said go with your gut feeling don't be afraid to go with the newbie guy the first install gets set up and commissioned along side a Atag engineer and he must demonstrate hes more than competent for Atag to supply him . Kop

as I said go with your gut feeling don't be afraid to go with the newbie guy

Unfortunately the newbie (and the cheapest) is the one that has just told me he couldn't fit Nest to OpenTherm as Worcester Bosch once told him that it would invalidate the warranty if he connected to OpenTherm without using their own controller.

Now I would have expected him to check with Atag first.

the first install gets set up and commissioned along side a Atag engineer and he must demonstrate hes more than competent for Atag to supply him . Kop

Yes Atag did say that to me when I phoned them a couple of days ago. I did also ask about using Nest as opposed to Atag One but didn't specifically ask about OpenTherm.

Argh - this is difficult!!

My initial feeling was to choose the dearest guy as he was very efficient in communicating and has excellent reviews online. He's also the most experienced having installed around 50 to 60 Atag boilers. However he's £300/£500 dearer evn though he's just reduced his price by £600 and now giving me the 35 Plus as opposed to the 27 Plus. My feeling is why did he quote so high in the first place - yes part of it is down to VAT but not all of it.

The middle guy has experience and has fitted around 3o Atag boilers. His communication has always been great, no VAT as he stays below the level for VAT registration. Works on personal recommendation and word of mouth. One Google review I've read is excellent but also good recommendations via LinkedIn. Seems to purposely choose to work less hours than some but this may be a good thing.

Number 2 sounds very much like me o_O 40 percent tax and do the vat mans work for free no thankyou , i pick and choose my jobs work on word of mouth recommendations and am on linkedin as is middle man , your choice but hes looking favourite . Kop

Number 2 sounds very much like me o_O 40 percent tax and do the vat mans work for free no thankyou , i pick and choose my jobs work on word of mouth recommendations and am on linkedin as is middle man , your choice but hes looking favourite . Kop
Is it you?

If you have a larger system, particularly one with rooms that are not used everyday, look at Honeywell Evohome.

It is the most expensive of the proven systems available - but it allows each room to be zoned independently.

Reply to Atag One Controller or similar? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock