Search the forum,

Discuss Asking for opinion about flow meter concerto in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I'm the homeowner of a heat pump + UFH installation, 2 floors with 1 manifold on each floor and a common pump. On both floors each circuit has the same problem: whenever a zone asks for heat and the motorized valve opens there is a some loud knocking going on (see video). In the case of the video attached pump has already started up and the blending valve didn't move either, so the only change was the motorized valve opening on the top.

According to the installer this is just air being trapped and its normal for new installations and the problem will solve itself (there are ARV's installed on the manifold). I'm still a bit nervous about it because the installation is more than a year old now. My question would be: do you think the installer is right and I should just wait, or there might be something to be done?

Another thing: looks like the flow meters are always in the 0 position even when the zone valves are open and heating is working OK. I thought they should indicate some flow normally. Is this an issue?

Last edited:
UPDATE: the manifold seems to be installed the wrong way around: the return is connected to the flow side and vice versa. Do you think I can just swap the flow meters and the TRV's or its not enough?

UPDATE again: I told the installer about how the manifold's flow side is on the return side pipe and vice versa. He said that he used to install it in reverse sometimes but it still works the same and it should not matter since the flow meter is bidirectional and the real problem is air trapped in the system. Since I read a lot on this forum (and from other sources) I knew that he is factually incorrect so I respectfully asked him to leave. I took some time from the weekend to swap the valves and the flow meters and then bleed the system. Now it works well and silent + there is a flow reading for each circuit. This is a win in my book but now it looks like I'll have to learn to care for my system.

Reply to Asking for opinion about flow meter concerto in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm attending a wet underfloor heating system, it's an old one ..No flow meters, just adjustable valves on the returns with conventional actuators. Problem is , one loop (far right in photo) isn't heating the floor (timber suspended) . I've bled the loop via a hosepipe, shut off all the other...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a 4 zone / 7 loop UFH system. 2 zones (4 loops) always get hot when the system is on when the zone thermostats and actuators are off. The video posted shows when I turn on another zones the flow meters drop. (Kitchen prep and kitchen TV are the issue, two at either end of the...
Replies
Views
Good morning, wondered if anyone can advise please on a resolution? My set up at home is that I have a 4-bed detached with 21 radiators (includes 4 towel rails), a 6m x 4m orangery/conservatory that was built last year with under-floor heating, and a Megaflo for storing hot water. The UFH...
Replies
Views
Hi, we had UFH installed dowstairs in our house recently, and I'm not 100% sure that it's connected correctly. I'd be grateful if someone could have a look at the diagrams and tell me if what the plumber did makes sense. The house is heated with an A2W Samsung/Joule heatpump. The buffer...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. Just bench testing my wiring centre. It all performs as it should but the relay makes a bit of a racket while it's waiting for the valves to open before it calls for heat. Only does it on a UFH zone, if using the rad zone its silent as I guess as it's not delaying/activating the pump...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock