• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net - The international free plumbing advice forum. Professional plumbers sharing advice with fellow plumbers and DIY alike. Register for free today! - Checkout the Plumbing Advice forum and then our Plumbing Videos area which still needs populating.

Discuss ASHP Installation Qualifications in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

I saw in the news the latest craze in the UK is heat pumps for hot water and heating. I wondered if a heat pump installer in the UK needs an F-Gas qualification to do this type of installation in a domestic/commercial environment and to sign it off.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
Depends on what type marvo we’re moving away from the older f gas ones into all in one units with just a flow and return connections

So I guess the answer is non

Ric2013

Plumber
Am I right in thinking if it's a split system with a precharged kit, you don't need F-gas qualification? Not sure where I got that idea from, but have an idea it's a 'thing'.

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
Am I right in thinking if it's a split system with a precharged kit, you don't need F-gas qualification? Not sure where I got that idea from, but have an idea it's a 'thing'.

Depends what you mean by split system if you mean like the ac uses eg indoor unit and external then no you do need to be f gas as you need to check and pull a vacuum

Ric2013

Plumber
There was something you didn't need for the spilt systems (and yes, I mean like the AC uses indoor unit and external). Can't remember what it is you don't need then. Oh well.

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I have done a couple and I'm not f gas I did a dimplex unit and a Mittsabushi, companies we're offering a umbrella scheme at the time where they came out a commissioned after installation and offered guidence through the installation process this can lead to MCS once you have proved your competent but this was early doors when ASHP s came available . Kop

I believe you only need to have your G3 unvented cylinder qualification for standard mono heat pumps.
Mono heat pumps have a sealed refrigeration system and so no F gas work is required.
Hydro split ASHP's use water between the outdoor unit and indoor unit so no F gas required.

A refrigerent split does however require F-Gas qualification as refrigerent pipework is required between the outdoor unit and indoor unit, benefit is the outdoor unit can be sited much further away.

MCS (and umbrella schemes) are only required at present if you are claiming for the RHI, new build etc does not require MCS.

The majority of installs are mono systems using the likes of Daikin, Samsung, Mitsi etc and so would only require G3 unvented certificate. (Plus MCS if claiming RHI).

king of pipes

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I believe you only need to have your G3 unvented cylinder qualification for standard mono heat pumps.
Mono heat pumps have a sealed refrigeration system and so no F gas work is required.
Hydro split ASHP's use water between the outdoor unit and indoor unit so no F gas required.

A refrigerent split does however require F-Gas qualification as refrigerent pipework is required between the outdoor unit and indoor unit, benefit is the outdoor unit can be sited much further away.

MCS (and umbrella schemes) are only required at present if you are claiming for the RHI, new build etc does not require MCS.

The majority of installs are mono systems using the likes of Daikin, Samsung, Mitsi etc and so would only require G3 unvented certificate. (Plus MCS if claiming RHI).
Very well explained Ant that's cleared that up .👍

ShaunCorbs

Staff member
S. Mod
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Solutions
Are these new type units all in one package? Do they need to be ducted to the outdoors?

There normally installed externally and the flow and return pipework has glycol in it due to our low temp winters and there normally piped to buffers / if system is designed correctly straight to the system

Reply to ASHP Installation Qualifications in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net