Search the forum,

Discuss Asbestos on waste pipe? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello, hope it's ok to post this here. I'm not a plumber or diyer just looking for advice.

I live in a 3 bed terraced house built around 1955 and have found something on an old kitchen pipe that I am worried could be asbestos. It looks like cement, part of it is hard another part soft and dusty.

Im sure it is the waste pipe as goes towards the soil stack and most of the pipe has been removed and replaced with a plastic pipe but the old part has this substance on it.

I am wondering how likely it would be for asbestos to be on a pipe in a house? There is conflicting advice online. I know I should have taken a photo but it's in an awkward place and I am scared to disturb it again.

Does anyone know of anything else it could be? It's not smooth with a painted finish like the photos of asbestos lagging online.

Thank you

Can you post up a picture please?

Quite possibly, but if you don't intend to disturb it, I wouldn't be excessively concerned. Only way to be certain is to have it sampled and lab tested.

20210215_203854.jpg

That bulbous form does indeed look similar to some (presumed) asbestos cement pipes I have seen. I'm not sure what all that fibre-taped joint is!

This is an asbestos soil joint - looks similar to yours to me you can just make out the makers name Everite stamped on it.
Maybe you can see something on yours but only if you can do so without disturbing it.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_4305.JPG
    IMG_4305.JPG
    159.3 KB · Views: 6

Reply to Asbestos on waste pipe? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock