Search the forum,

Discuss Armitage Shanks non-standard (?) cistern outlet valve needed in Australia in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Australia
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BruceB

Greetings everyone. I'm writing from North Queensland, Australia. Currently renovating a 30 yo house. In one room there is an Armitage Shanks toilet that needs a new cistern outlet valve. The 'universal' 50mm outlet valve replacement available locally will not quite fit it. No-one I've spoken to here has encountered a cistern outlet hole this size and I've found no answers online. I have emailed Armitage Shanks UK twice with nil result.

The cistern is marked 'Armitage Shanks Australia 5062'. The size of the round hole in the cistern lid is approx. 27mm

Can anyone suggest where I might buy a suitable replacement part online, and exactly what I should ask for?

Many thanks in anticipation of your suggestions.

G'day Bruce try EBay you never know your luck ....you may be out blowing the froth off a few at the moment after the rugger....still you got further than us pommie's.....regards Turnpin:8:

can you post a picture of the old cistern outlet valve.

Last edited:
welcome to the forums bruce there is a member from your neck of the woods called oz plumber who may be able to help

Hi Bruce,

Sounds like you need a single flush - flush valve.
I'm not sure you will be able to get a replacement part because everything now is dual flush.
The other problem is that your pan will require 9 or 12 litre flush. Most replacement parts will only do 6 litre flushes ( maybe 9 )

Your best bet will be to replace the toilet suite.
It may sound harsh but we've had this problem with old toilet suites for the past 10 or so years

By the sounds of it your looking for a single flush mechanism button picking through the lid. This is connected directly on top of the outlet valve.
Take your parts or photos to Reece plumbing supplies and measurements. They've got replacement parts for most older generation models.
Don't bother with their web site, is all new gear.
Mate if any one can help they can.

Greetings everyone. I'm writing from North Queensland, Australia. Currently renovating a 30 yo house. In one room there is an Armitage Shanks toilet that needs a new cistern outlet valve. The 'universal' 50mm outlet valve replacement available locally will not quite fit it. No-one I've spoken to here has encountered a cistern outlet hole this size and I've found no answers online. I have emailed Armitage Shanks UK twice with nil result.

The cistern is marked 'Armitage Shanks Australia 5062'. The size of the round hole in the cistern lid is approx. 27mm

Can anyone suggest where I might buy a suitable replacement part online, and exactly what I should ask for?

Many thanks in anticipation of your suggestions.
Go to Reece plumbing supplies.
Take old bits, photos and measurements.
If you can't get there give them a phone and send the info. I'm sure they'll help you out.
Cairns branch should be able to post this stuff out to you.
Cheers mate

Here's a link.

Fixatap.com.au

16mm to 53mm cistern lid hole size.

No worries mate

Noted with thanks. I have taken the complete cistern to the local Reece plumbing place and they said "have never seen one that size" and offered no hope of getting a replacement part.

I have emailed Fixatap too by the way - also nil response. The main problem though is the hole at the base of the cistern - it's just a shade too small for the universal replacement part of fit into.

Noted with thanks. I have been on google and ebay etc but the problem is that (unless I have the specific part number to look for) then the odds are that a part will arrive in the post a couple of weeks later that also won't fit.

Our flush valves are 1 1/2 or 2" but then again by boat it will take along time.

20151102_085317[1].jpg

Thanks Steve. Oz Plumber is on the case already - cheers. Do you, by any chance, have anyone from Armitage Shanks staff (or former staff) on your members list?

Thanks Steve. Oz Plumber is on the case already - cheers. Do you, by any chance, have anyone from Armitage Shanks staff (or former staff) on your members list?

not that I know of

Could you not drill the hole a little bigger? You'd need to brace some wood inside to hold the pilot, Diamond core will do the job nicely.
Was involved in drilling some ceramic the other day, was surprisingly easy.

Fix A Tap have subsequently replied but were not able to offer any leads - they said all their outlet valves are the same size. I will go back now and ask them about part 229854

I have emailed Fixatap too by the way - also nil response. The main problem though is the hole at the base of the cistern - it's just a shade too small for the universal replacement part of fit into.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting idea. I had just assumed that porcelain would shatter. There is a local company that drills holes in concrete slabs who might be able to tackle the job. I have their details already as I would need to drill new holes for waste and water if I send up having to replace the whole unit. Anyway sounds like a possible Plan B, thanks

Could you not drill the hole a little bigger? You'd need to brace some wood inside to hold the pilot, Diamond core will do the job nicely.
Was involved in drilling some ceramic the other day, was surprisingly easy.

Fix-a-loo have today advised that part 229854 has the standard 50mm outlet (i.e. it won't fit) Thanks anyway

Fix A Tap have subsequently replied but were not able to offer any leads - they said all their outlet valves are the same size. I will go back now and ask them about part 229854

Interesting idea. I had just assumed that porcelain would shatter. There is a local company that drills holes in concrete slabs who might be able to tackle the job. I have their details already as I would need to drill new holes for waste and water if I send up having to replace the whole unit. Anyway sounds like a possible Plan B, thanks

Looking at the cistern again, I'm not sure it would be that easy as I think you would also have to drill the hole in the top of the pedestal, as the cistern sits flush on the pedestal.

I have gone back to Reece HQ this time and luckily I have found someone there who is now looking into the issue

Noted with thanks. I have taken the complete cistern to the local Reece plumbing place and they said "have never seen one that size" and offered no hope of getting a replacement part.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Armitage Shanks non-standard (?) cistern outlet valve needed in Australia in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock