Search the forum,

Discuss Are Worcester boilers all that? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Stanios

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Let me preface - I install and repair boilers and in my humble opinion Worcester Greenstar i aka Junior isn't a good boiler. I realise why they are very pupular - the Bosch name, the marketing (best friends with Which?), "trusted" by the big installers.

Installation - Probably the hardest boiler to install. In fact if you've never installed a Worcester you probably be scratching your head for a good while. Even after many installs it is frustrating that the wall has to be quite level and even (which is rare), condensate position is pre determined, boiler doesn't come with any preformed bends, or filling link, the flue turret is very fiddly. Have to install a mini pressure vessel because all hydraulics are plastic. In my experience this boiler takes the longest to install by a good hour.

Daily Use - No on/off button, trickiest filling loop for customer to use, Junior combis had no dial for hot water temperature, no LCD display. These features were basic on many other boilers that are cheaper by hunders of £.

Maintenance - Case difficult to take on and off. Probably the least cleaned heat exchanger ever - need special kit to clean it, need at least 300mm clear above boiler, need to replace burner seal gasket, need to learn the manuever to get to the heat exchanger. After going through all that trouble 4/10 times the baffles are simply stuck inside and you can't even clean the thing anyway. If your plumber is cleaning that on their service they are a legend, give them a tip or treat them to a nice bikky. Flow restrictor or any hydraulics for that matter only again brave legendary guys only the plastic stuff will crumble in your hands.

Cost - Junior is at least £200 more than an Ideal or Baxi . They have pretty much same manufactured pumps, fans, gas valves, aav, prv. Also companies like BG and Boxt (where Worcester is a majority shareholder) get their Juniors much cheaper which makes you question how much more do they actually cost to produce if at all than any other mid range boiler?

There ok boilers like most it depends on how good the install is

pre bends works out the same eg fitting wise tbh I don’t like them (pre done bends)

shock arrestors are mandatory on most boilers now baxi vaillant say in the instructions warranty is invalid if a part is damaged due to not having one on when there’s a water meter fitted

no on off buttons fused spur or leave in frost settings as for the early one eg no hot water adjustment when have you found people adjust this normally left on max :D

every 4 years baffles need removing else 12 years out it down for a fixed price repair

I’ve gotten away with just the flue height before now have to bend the brush but doable

you can get them cheap if you buy 1k 28kw I same with any brand also boxt are nothing to do with Worcester (boilers)

The original Greenstar CDI and Si boilers weren't bad. Quite a reliable boiler tbh. The new stuff Worcester is turfing out though is C*** though. That CDI compact was just urgh.

Tbh can you actually say what is a good boiler these days? They all have their faults. We fit mainly Vaillant but still have call backs, at which stage you may as well say fit a £400 boiler. Why spend the extra?

boxt are nothing to do with Worcester (boilers)
How can you say that when Robert Bosch UK Holdings Limited own 100% of Worcester Group Limited and 45% of BOXT Limited? Also, Worcester Group Limited own 100% of Bosch Thermotechnology Limited, who manufacture WB Boilers.

According to the latest published accounts, Bosch Thermotechnology Limited paid marketing support and direct contract support to Boxt Limited amounting to £3.3m. Boxt made a loss of nearly £7m, according to their latest accounts. They have not made any profit, so far.

As Evil has said the old cdis weren't bad but they seem to have lost their way since i have lost count of the amount of leaking Worcesters I've attended the new range of boilers is awful.

How can you say that when Robert Bosch UK Holdings Limited own 100% of Worcester Group Limited and 45% of BOXT Limited? Also, Worcester Group Limited own 100% of Bosch Thermotechnology Limited, who manufacture WB Boilers.

According to the latest published accounts, Bosch Thermotechnology Limited paid marketing support and direct contract support to Boxt Limited amounting to £3.3m. Boxt made a loss of nearly £7m, according to their latest accounts. They have not made any profit, so far.
Shocking stuff. Where do you find this info?

I fit Worcester and Baxi.
I much prefer fitting Baxi but still reccomend Worcester if fitted with their 'Easy control'.
I like that they're designed and built for the UK market and so reducing issues like degrading rubber hoses and temperamental pressure sensors (you know where I'm pointing).
The after sales support and spares availability is great to unbeatable (in my experience) and they're not going to get fed up with the UK and dissappear if things get difficult.
Yes they weigh as much as the brick wall you fix them too, yes they may take a little more effort to fit and very occasionally maintain.
But on balance (and by the skin of their teeth) they are still my package of choice.

Shocking stuff. Where do you find this info?
It's on U.K Companies House

The ultimate parent company of the Bosch Group is Robert Bosch Gmbh which has over 1800 companies worldwide.
Then below that sits Robert Bosch Investment Nederland B.V.
Then in any country they operate there is a local Holding comany, in the U.K its Robert Bosch U.K Holdings, who as previously stated own 100% of the boiler manufacturer via a group company and also 45% of BOXT.

Wonder where the company name BOXT came from, it was changed to BOXT from the original start up company name in June 2017 just before Bosch got involved.

Robert Bosch Investment Nedeland B.V.
Kruisbroeksestraat 1
5281 RV Boxtel
Netherlands

It's on U.K Companies House

The ultimate parent company of the Bosch Group is Robert Bosch Gmbh which has over 1800 companies worldwide.
Then below that sits Robert Bosch Investment Nederland B.V.
Then in any country they operate there is a local Holding comany, in the U.K its Robert Bosch U.K Holdings, who as previously stated own 100% of the boiler manufacturer via a group company and also 45% of BOXT.

Wonder where the company name BOXT came from, it was changed to BOXT from the original start up company name in June 2017 just before Bosch got involved.

Robert Bosch Investment Nedeland B.V.
Kruisbroeksestraat 1
5281 RV Boxtel
Netherlands
Bosch probably realised British Gas had it too good getting the best selling combi bulk and making a chunk selling these same combis for £2000 each. Its easier to put a combi on the wall than to manufacture one. Its even harder to manufacture a low cost boiler and sell it as a premium boiler. All they needed was installers and thats where BOXT comes in. Can't exactly tell someone who already has been installing WB boilers for 10 years and an accredited installer that they will take away all that privelege and cap their money for each install. But thats what they essentially did, why would a customer use an accredited WB installer when you can get in on BOXT? But essentially its the same thing just the loyal WB installer got Damned over.

pre bends works out the same eg fitting wise tbh I don’t like them (pre done bends)

shock arrestors are mandatory on most boilers now baxi vaillant say in the instructions warranty is invalid if a part is damaged due to not having one on when there’s a water meter fitted

no on off buttons fused spur or leave in frost settings as for the early one eg no hot water adjustment when have you found people adjust this normally left on max :D

every 4 years baffles need removing else 12 years out it down for a fixed price repair

I’ve gotten away with just the flue height before now have to bend the brush but doable

you can get them cheap if you buy 1k 28kw I same with any brand also boxt are nothing to do with Worcester (boilers)

Hi

Do you know where i can find a website or legal doc that states when the shock arrestors became legally required?

Should say in the back of your instruction on the benchmark under shock arrestor or email your boiler manufacturer and ask them if required

Worcester normally have a section in the installation manual call 'Pre Installation'. They detail the circumstances required to fit a mini expansion vessel if a non return valve is fitting on the incoming main.
Find the manual for yours and see if it is detailed

I've always felt they should have one in the boilers if it is definitely required, but that's just me!

Reply to Are Worcester boilers all that? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock