Search the forum,

Discuss Are these demountable? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi
I'm trying to ascertain whether this type of fitting is easily demountable.
I want to tidy up the pipes that will lead to a vanity unit/basin. One of the pipe, the one on the right is at a very strange angle and no where near vertical. It's probably being pushed away by the short section of pipe running into the 'y' branch above.
Do these demount easily. Or do they leave those 'shark teeth' rings on the pipe? (Sorry, I don't know the proper term and can't be bothered to look it up. 🤣)
I only ask, because the fitting is very close to the floor and not easily accessible if they are difficult to disassemble. I know that speedfit one disassemble very easily.
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220827_114910_812.jpg
    IMG_20220827_114910_812.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220827_132545_418.jpg
    IMG_20220827_132545_418.jpg
    492.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20220827_133616_149.jpg
    IMG_20220827_133616_149.jpg
    503.8 KB · Views: 9
Yes but you have to undo the nut fully and pull it all off once it’s undone eg leaves the grips on the pipe but once removed flip the nut around and then you can push the grab ring off the right way

Yes but you have to undo the nut fully and pull it all off once it’s undone eg leaves the grips on the pipe but once removed flip the nut around and then you can push the grab ring off the right way
Hi Shaun. Thanks for the reply.
A. So, if the nut is too close to the floor, it won't unscrew fully, therefore I can't disassemble it?

This then begs a second question. Can this particular brand of coupler be disassembled and then used again?
In more detail, can I remove the nut from the top section of the coupler, remove all the pipe work above it that has loads of unnecessary fitting such as valves and branches etc and then fit a new section of copper pipe back into the top of the coupler and replace the nut?

And which brand is it, do you know?

Thanks again

It might be early hep20

If it’s plastic below you might be able to pull a bit of slack so you can raise it enough you can cut the grab ring (eg just cut a tab / link of the gab ring so u you ou can expand the grab ring and pull off you will need a new push fit fitting)

I wouldby reuse pushfit fittings other than as a temp measure always replace I use jg

It might be early hep20

If it’s plastic below you might be able to pull a bit of slack so you can raise it enough you can cut the grab ring (eg just cut a tab / link of the gab ring so u you ou can expand the grab ring and pull off you will need a new push fit fitting)

I wouldby reuse pushfit fittings other than as a temp measure always replace I use jg
Hi Shauncorbs.
I appreciate you taking the time to reply, but I really struggled to understand what you were trying to communicate. I could try and guess, but if I misinterpreted what you are advising incorrectly, I may end up doing something wrong.

The pipe below the coupler is copper and unfortunately it's bound in place with tile adhesive. So will not move and I'm very worried about rupturing any joints beneath the floorboards if I was to attempt.

I think your saying that I CAN NOT...
1. Unscrew the TOP nut of the coupling and retain for re-use.
2. Remove the existing pipe that goes into the TOP of the coupling.
3. Feed original nut onto new pipe.
4. Insert new pipe into the TOP of the existing coupling.
5. Screw nut back onto coupler.

Thanks

You can try but I wouldn’t want to chance the old oring resealing you more than welcome to try but I would keep an eye on it

You would need to move as well the oring grab ring and washer over

Reply to Are these demountable? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock