Search the forum,

Discuss Are there any "Recommended" Smart TRV Valves for large houses? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All,

I thought I'd come to the experts and see if anyone is installing and/or recommending the use of any Smart TRV valves? Particularly in large(ish) solid wall houses.

I live in a 1920's arts and crafts house - it's about 2000sqft, not massive, but it's approx 25% larger on the downstairs, which means the distance from the rads to the boiler can be quite far on the ground floor.

I'm about to replace all the rads and I was going to go with a new Tado Smart system - but then had a closer look at the specs for it and noticed that you get a single "receiver" for the smart TRV's to talk through. There's quite a few forum threads on other forums with people complaining about the range and that their rads just "disconnect" which would make it pretty useless for me. It doesn't look like they have a concept of additional booster stations, so I'm concerned about going with this solution and trying to find somewhere in the house to place the receiver.

Anyway - so, there are other options out there from honeywell, etcp and drayton - I was wondering if anyone has installed and and would recommend them on a largish scale - driving around 18 rads or more - across 14 rooms.

Did you install room thermostats too? Or did you just use the sensors on the TRV's?

All help and advice appreicated :)

My end goal is to be able to control the heating on a "per room" level - as most of the time it's just me in the house while my wife is at work and the kids are at school.

When you're on your own in the house, how many rooms do you use?

It's easy to spend far more on 'smart' controls than they'll ever pay back. Compare your smart system with, for example, this simple alternative approach:

Use a programmer-thermostat on a conventional system to keep the house at, say, 17°C during the day and then have a small radiant heater as a booster in your home office or wherever you're spending time sitting. Ramp the house temperature up to something more comfortable, say 20 or 21°C in the late afternoon so everybody is comfortable in the evening. Use traditional TRV's to keep the temperatures of bedrooms and unused rooms a bit lower than the rest of the house.

I'm not prejudging the conclusion of this bake-off, just recommend that you consider all your options.

Evohome might be a better option. They still all talk to a single controller, but the controller is the the 'receiver' for the TRVs. Then the controller talks to the boiler relay. You can then place the controller in a central spot to be an equal distance between all the TRVs. I've fitted Honeywell controls for a long time and I can't recall where I've once had an issue with their radio coms, other than the Hot Water kit for Evohome.

Not 100% how Tado works, but I believe it talks to the little receiver that plugs in your internet. So the position of this maybe governed where your router is.

Or spend 1 minute to turn all the rads down in the unoccupied rooms , then 1 minute to turn them back up again mid afternoon.

I expect you’ll be wanting a remote control for the telly next!

Probably be cheaper to have standard TRVs on the radiators, turn the heating down during the day and have a small electric heater in the room you use

Evohome is not the latest technology, but it has stood the test of time and rock solid. A single controller will give you 12 zones, if you need more, you can pair further units with repeaters. It is not cheap ( the system provides convenience, but has a payback of 8+ years) but will allow you to control each room as a single zone.

If the property is more than 20 rooms you are probably better looking at an integrated BMS system.

We instal a lot in Oxon / Gloucestershire, but as a nice to have not as an energy saving measure

Reply to Are there any "Recommended" Smart TRV Valves for large houses? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Our kitchen mixer tap has started dripping. Like so much of the plumbing in our almost new build bungalow, it is lacking! The plumber didn't install any isolating cocks in the H&C feed to the tap so how can I identify which of the valves is passing? Shut the whole H&C water system down?
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock