Search the forum,

Discuss Are the water tanks in the loft the cause of widespread condensation. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bukky Apampa

Hi,

I hope you can help me, I have middle maisonette flat, in our loft, there 4 communal water tanks shared with our neighbours, in the last 5 years, we've noticed really bad condensation in the flat, our bathroom walls turning black and now water is dropping out of the ceiling, I called a plumber in who went into the loft, he told me that the water dropping from the ceiling is coming from the water tanks, he told me to ask the council to remove the water tank that does not belong to my flat as leaving the tanks there could cause major damage to the roof of which I'd be responsible for. I bought the flat 7 years ago.

So I called the council in to check, they told me they don't know what the plumber is talking about as water tanks do not cause condensation and that under no circumstance would the council remove the tanks especially since they pose no threats to my flat.

Now I'm not sure who to believe, can you advise please? Thanks.

Bukky.

I doubt very much this is caused by the water tanks (unless they're physically leaking!) - Condensation is generally caused by poor ventilation.

It's especially noticeable in areas which have a high humidity (eg bathrooms, kitchens, rooms used for drying clothes etc) and / or cold surfaces (outside walls, poorly insulated upper floor ceilings etc).

In these cases the 'cure' is to install good forced ventilation (extract fans) in order to remove the moisture laden air and improve insulation of cold surfaces (e.g. improve loft insulation). In your case, do you have mechanical extract in your bathroom and is the loft insulation good? Do you dry washing on radiators in the flat? Are all your doors and windows draught free? (ironically, sealing up and insulating a building often causes noticeable problems with air quality)

The best solution is to install Mechanical Ventilation and Heat Recovery (MVHR) which is a small air handling unit in the loft. It extracts air from the house (from one or more points) and uses the heat in the extracted air to pre-warm fresh air taken in from outside. They are very efficient to run and can have huge benefits in problem properties with damp and condensation issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the tanks aren't leaking, fitted with covers and proper insulation jackets then they shouldn't be your problem.
Really you need a detailed survey report, your plumber ought to be able to provide this for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are the water tanks in the loft the cause of widespread condensation. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock