Search the forum,

Discuss are Screwfix 15mm isolation valves non leaking at the screw? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace a 15mm iso valve as it leaks from the screw. Are the Screwfix ones reliable does anyone know?

They are fine if you don't touch them lol!

Try this instead Pegler Ball Valve Blue 15mm | Ball Valves | NoLinkingToThis

Thanks, it's for under the floor boards and space is tight due to the ceilings plasterboard being up between the joists. It does seem that IVs tend to leak when the screw is turned which kind of defeats the purpose.

If it's mains water use a 15mm stopcock that's a bit more compact. Could you move it's location?

Its not a good sign the fact we should even have to ask if a fitting is reliable, i think its a disgrace on the manufacturers behalf,
Fittings like our work are tested to a standard , it should state from the seller what standard they conform too,

The full flow isolating valves (look just like an ordinary type on steroids) seem to be a different quality with, if you look closely inside you will see the white seal at the ball which is a ptfe hard seal. They only cost about double the price of those cheap nasty ordinary type.

Go to a good merchant and order a genuine ball-o-fix valve this will solve your problem...regards Turnpin:santa3:

Don't think i've seen a genuine ballofix valve in years. Thats progress for you lol

im with tamz do you remember the ballofix drain of cocks excellent never leaked but the spout was small and were a fiver each back in the eighties

A ballofix was about a fiver in the 80's too. I remember going into grahams one time and buying a box of them, 10 i think, so i could have some in the van. I got a bollocking about 2 days later when the bill came in lol

Yeah will work when new but will leak when its an emergency / repair required.
We can go to the moon / with costs but cant make a proper valve to turn water off lol

russians used gate valves in their space capsules right upto a few years back, they obviously didnt trust the screwfix ball valves :)

I agree with AWHeating. Should try not to put valves underneath floorboards for this very reason. Can you not move the location of it to somewhere with access? I've used plenty of screwfix iso valves (full bore) and they seem fine. Mind you, I've not been back since the jobs have been done so who knows :tounge_smile: But I've used them at home and they're fine.

Thanks for all your replies, I agree about it being a bad idea to put them under the floor, there are four altogether which blanked off pipes ends before rads were installed. I've decided to replace them all with straight connectors if the 20mm length difference can be made up by slack in the pipes. If not and they are not weeping, I'll leave them be! Shame they are so rubbish, I guess they are ok on cold water pipes maybe ?

Those isolating valves should NOT be fitted on heating pipes at all!
They can't take the heat and will leak and are too restrictive on the flow which will affect the flow if on any circuit with a few rads on it.
They are pathetic valves for any job anyhow.
Only morons fit them to heating pipes IMO.
A full flow valve might be okay, but I would use connectors, normally soldered copper fitting if possible.

Thanks for all your replies, I agree about it being a bad idea to put them under the floor, there are four altogether which blanked off pipes ends before rads were installed. I've decided to replace them all with straight connectors if the 20mm length difference can be made up by slack in the pipes. If not and they are not weeping, I'll leave them be! Shame they are so rubbish, I guess they are ok on cold water pipes maybe ?
Oh I didn't realise these were on CH pipes. Oh dear.. If I were you, I'd replace that section of pipe with soldered connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to are Screwfix 15mm isolation valves non leaking at the screw? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock