Search the forum,

Discuss Aqualisa Thermostatic Cartridge - Grey 022801- Help in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi, I've just swapped out the old Aqualisa cartridge for the new, however when I went to turn the water inlet valves back on the cold was fine but I had no control over the hot. Meaning when I shut off the shower the hot water would keep flowing.
Any thoughts gratefully received as I am scratching my head for a logical reason?
Many Thanks
Pedro.
[automerge]1593272609[/automerge]
Just noticed that the cold water seems to turn on anti-clockwise and off clockwise when I move the temperature control all the way round?
[automerge]1593276425[/automerge]
Maybe I should also mention that I bought this Grey cartridge on Ebay and it didn't come with any gasket, screws or 'O' rings ( so I swapped the recently purchased gasket and ring from the old one) and I am now wondering if a lack internal 'O' rings might be the cause of my water control problems.

Would a lack of internal 'O' rings allow the hot water to flow through the shower head even though the on/off was turned all the way clockwise in the off position?

I guess I am just trying to avoid taking this 'new' cartridge apart to check it internally.

Last edited:
Maybe I should also mention that I bought this Grey cartridge on Ebay and it didn't come with any gasket, screws or 'O' rings ( so I swapped the recently purchased gasket and ring from the old one) and I am now wondering if a lack internal 'O' rings might be the cause of my water control problems.

Would a lack of internal 'O' rings allow the hot water to flow through the shower head even though the on/off was turned all the way clockwise in the off position?

I guess I am just trying to avoid taking this 'new' cartridge apart to check it internally.
[automerge]1593287534[/automerge]
Thanks Aquarius, The reason I got the replacement cartridge was because of a persistent drip under the on/off knob (built in model).

That issue has been solved by the new cartridge. The only issue now is that the hot water won't turn off. As the hot water flow comes in from the back, that could point to the back "o" ring, being perished as you say.

However this was not an issue with the old cartridge??

I'll change the o ring first and then try it. Then, if the hot still won't turn off I'll try the gasket. Weird that it doesn't happen with the old one though.

I'm hoping l haven't been sold a dud.
Cheers.

Last edited:

It’s possible yes. Something is letting the water pass.

You may have accidentally/unintentionally damaged an o-ring/gasket upon removal

Take a few deep breaths , the oring at the back of those can be a real pain to change as it sits inside a recess. Take you time or you can easily damage it and that will lead to the problem you are having. A touch of silicone grease on all seals too.

As Ben-gee says, the o-ring at the back is a pita on those showers. It doesn't sit on the cartridge, it sits in the (12mm ish) hole right at the back of the unit in the wall.
Aqualisa/Gainsbrough advise that you change that o-ring whenever you change the cartridge and it's awkward. Crochet hook needed to get the old one out and lots of luck and patience needed to get the new one in :/

Just wanted to say a huge thankyou to all of you that took the time to respond to my dilemma.

On comparing the old dripping cartridge with the new, I noticed that the "new" one was missing the white circlip that goes around the steel tube at the back end of the cartridge.

I guess it presses up against the o ring and without it the hot water just kept flowing whether the knob was on or off.
Anyway I fitted the circlip from the old onto the new and job done.

The challenges of trying to save a few quid buying "new" from eBay.

Thanks again.đź‘Ť

Reply to Aqualisa Thermostatic Cartridge - Grey 022801- Help in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock