Search the forum,

Discuss Approaching Councils direct for Boiler installs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

lambchop

I heard on the grapevine that you can approach councils direct and get a slice of there of Boiler installs as they are trying to save money by not dealing with large companies and subbing it out to sole traders. Im based on the coast in hampshire and thinking of doing it this year.

Any advice, experiences please post

OK if you want to get bogged down with paper work ! and waite 6Mths for payment, and put up with with some jump'd up office boy telling you how to do your job. :90:

you will need a lot of things inplace to be able to work for them. 24hr call out, full health and safety paperwork, good insurance etc.... but its worth asking the question.

Lambchop
Wherabout on south coast are you.
Looked at subbing to potrsmouth last year , but the hoops they wanted me to jump through were too nig

the scottish councils i have dealt with tend to work only with bigger contractors, its easier for them to have one point of contact, access to 24hr call out that will get answered, if you are a sole trader it is impractical for you to be available every night and every weekend, during the warrenty of the the install as per their contract with you, also the paperwork trail will do your nut in, copies of this copies of that, hot works permits signed off for every job etc etc wetc, far better chance of success by you approaching the contractors already in place to get work from them, the council dont care who does the job under the main contractor as the contractor takes full responsibility for their people, good luck though

one of my tutors at college used to be a subby for a london council, he gave me a list of prices the council paid for pretty much any conceivable gas or plumbing job, if youre interested Lambchop i'll dig it out

as i recall they didnt pay well, I think it was stuff like ÂŁ20 for a landlord safety inspection. I remember him saying the only way to make money was to constantly keep adding things on, for instance if you had to change a tap he'd deliberately break some tiles taking it off so he had to change them as well

Ah! Schedule of rates, I remember it well.
Looks good at first glance but never seems to pan out in reality.
Add to this the delayed payment terms and it rapidld becomes a big mistake. IME

I'd give council work a miss, from past experience it's a bloody nightmare with paperwork and payment

i was down in portsmouth yesterday...

i do some council work what i charge/quote is what i get paid within 2 weeks of invoice its brill.lol.

I worked 10 years at my local council, paid per job was better for me use to earn well then it changed to sallery and n matter how much work I did they never paid any more, and was disheartening really.

As for contracts they had in house gas engineers and subed out the installs they dident have time or man power for to any company that could do each block of 6months for a set price for so many despite where boiler went or type of roperty, we/they had 24hr cover of there own then sent contractors out in day time.

Unfortunatly can't apply till 2 years after quitting myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Approaching Councils direct for Boiler installs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock