Search the forum,

Discuss Apprenticeship at 25 ?! in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everybody, my names Toby I’m 25 from Essex and I’m looking to pursue a career in plumbing/gas installation etc. I’m currently signed on for a C&G 6035 level 2 diploma starting in Feb lasting 6 months. I’m trying to find a way into the plumbing industry as after wasting the earlier years of my life bouncing between jobs I realised I need a solidness career behind me. I would love to hear advice from some people with experience ! Thank you in advance.

You will not regret it. Being a plumber is a frustrating, body knackering, but rewarding job. There are other skills to learn too, like a Electrics, wiring diagrams, bit of chippy work maybe even tiling and other great skills to have. There is a load to learn. I have been doing it a fair few years now and still learn more than one thing a day, be it a new technique or about a new tool that makes a job easier. I love it, most days..

You will not regret it. Being a plumber is a frustrating, body knackering, but rewarding job. There are other skills to learn too, like a Electrics, wiring diagrams, bit of chippy work maybe even tiling and other great skills to have. There is a load to learn. I have been doing it a fair few years now and still learn more than one thing a day, be it a new technique or about a new tool that makes a job easier. I love it, most days..

Thanks Duncan I’m trying my hardest to find someone to take me on I just feel it’s hard at my age because I need a liveable wage and people don’t want to pay someone so inexperienced that money ? Any advice on getting employed ?

You might be well placed as you are 25 and might qualify for cheap vehicle insurance, this will make you much more flexible than a 16 year old eg. You will be able to go get parts and learn plenty while on site as well. good luck centralheatking

You will need to take the hit if you want in and need to complete your portfolio. As for emoyment... get in front of owners of businesses and show them you are keen and ready to burst your gut.

You might be well placed as you are 25 and might qualify for cheap vehicle insurance, this will make you much more flexible than a 16 year old eg. You will be able to go get parts and learn plenty while on site as well. good luck centralheatking
Yeah I was thinking I have an advantage in having a license and willingness to work and learn over school leavers I just need to find someone who sees the same way as you do ! Thanks for the advice
[automerge]1574417567[/automerge]
You will need to take the hit if you want in and need to complete your portfolio. As for emoyment... get in front of owners of businesses and show them you are keen and ready to burst your gut.
Yeah I’ve been trying to contact all local plumbers as to no avail yet but I will keep trying ! Thanks

You may have to get a flexible part time job to earn a little dough to see you through. I mean get out there on foot and doorstep the business. I would hit the ones based in commercial premises.
Anyone can phone up, but it takes guts to go and speak in person and it is also harder for them to say no.

I was 26 when I started my apprenticeship. I had to work for £7 an hour at the beginning which was significantly less than I earned in my previous incarnation but the company owner saw I was being useful from an early stage and was bumping my hourly rate up by £1 per hour every six months which got my wage up relatively quickly but it was still a struggle financially at first. Fortunately my wife was also working full time with a decent job which helped a great deal.

Nearly 15 years later and I never looked back, haven't regretted a minute of it and am still grateful to my first boss for taking me on and giving me a chance.

Some employers will see the value in a mature apprentice and the extra abilities that can bring. Others want someone much younger that they can really mold to what they want. It's just a case of finding an employer who values the former.

Good luck with everything!

You may have to get a flexible part time job to earn a little dough to see you through. I mean get out there on foot and doorstep the business. I would hit the ones based in commercial premises.
Anyone can phone up, but it takes guts to go and speak in person and it is also harder for them to say no.
Luckily my current employer is a very good boss he knows what I’m trying and it has been made clear I can go part time there whilst maybe offering companies volunteer work once a week to see if they like how I work and learn. I will definitely be trying your method of showing up on the doorstep though ! Thanks again
[automerge]1574461597[/automerge]
I was 26 when I started my apprenticeship. I had to work for £7 an hour at the beginning which was significantly less than I earned in my previous incarnation but the company owner saw I was being useful from an early stage and was bumping my hourly rate up by £1 per hour every six months which got my wage up relatively quickly but it was still a struggle financially at first. Fortunately my wife was also working full time with a decent job which helped a great deal.

Nearly 15 years later and I never looked back, haven't regretted a minute of it and am still grateful to my first boss for taking me on and giving me a chance.

Some employers will see the value in a mature apprentice and the extra abilities that can bring. Others want someone much younger that they can really mold to what they want. It's just a case of finding an employer who values the former.

Good luck with everything!

Great to hear someone doing that at such a similar point in life I’m in now, I’m willing to struggle as currently living with partners parents with low rent so making the most of the current situation I’m in now. Thanks for the advice !

Reply to Apprenticeship at 25 ?! in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock