Search the forum,

Discuss Apprenticeship advice in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

R

RSHerts!

Hi. My 18yr son has recently started a sub c plumbing apprentice. We all realise how fortunate he is to be given this opportunity and he is loving every day despite starting his day at 5am and sometimes not finishing til 7pm. My question is hes been there 6 weeks suppose to be paid weekly but actually only been paid twice. Is this normal? First timers to the trade and don't want to raise my mum concerns to my son as he's loving it. Just looking for some background advice. Thanks

Sounds like he's being exploited by an outfit that is not going to be in business for long. Unless there are exceptional and short-term circumstances, fourteen hour days are a red flag. In any case, employees should be paid overtime and/or given time off in lieu for the extras. Irregular payment is a very big red flag.

Here's the law on working hours:

What's the health and safety culture like? Is he getting proper payslips? Is he getting proper training and supervision or just being treated like a slave?

Is his college aware of the problems?

As per @Chuck - When I was on my apprenticeship, if there was an issue I knew who to speak to from the college, your son should know too. They (the college) should know how to approach this company on your sons behalf in a way hopefully to not rock the boat, however if they do terminate his apprenticeship then I’d say it’s no great loss.

Does the amount add up to two weeks pay or is he getting paid weekly but at the end of each month etc ?

Get him to document all his hours while working - not so much travel time, but it could be useful.

Get him to actively seek another job.
If he gets another job, take the hours worked to someone that can help and get all his money paid by existing company.

Not sure what sort of help you guys have over there, but over here, that sort of stuff is very much frowned upon and all money's will be paid by going to a Government Department and lodging a claim.

Wage theft is a massive thing over here at the moment.
Plenty of large and small companies over here are paying huge amounts back to people they exploited over not paying correct wages.

He should be paid weekly without any questions and for all the hours he has worked.

Reply to Apprenticeship advice in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it 😬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock