Search the forum,

Discuss Apprentice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi There,

I am currently looking to leave my nursing career and train as a plumber, via an apprenticeship. As of yet I haven’t found an apprenticeship and continue to look regularly. I am hoping to start this within the next 12 months. Does anyone have any advice for me at all? From whether I’m looking down the right path, to the best way to find someone willing to offer me an apprenticeship!
Thanks
Hannah

Always toyed with the idea after I left school, however nursing drew me in more. Come to a point where I want a total change and thought why not, give it a go! Seems a pretty popular apprenticeship though, as all the enquiries I’ve made come back saying they already have apprentices working for them. Any advice you can give? 😀

I’m not so much with the advice, any reason why plumbing, or does the answer remain as above? I got mine 17 years ago, used to enjoy it, not so much anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always toyed with the idea after I left school, however nursing drew me in more. Come to a point where I want a total change and thought why not, give it a go! Seems a pretty popular apprenticeship though, as all the enquiries I’ve made come back saying they already have apprentices working for them. Any advice you can give? 😀

The advice from your answer above is don't do it.

It comes across as doing it on a whim rather than because you are passionate about it.

Bu that's just my two penneth.

I’m not so much with the advice, any reason why plumbing, or does the answer remain as above? I got mine 17 years ago, used to enjoy it, no time so much anymore.
I’ve always had an interest in plumbing and nursing just isn’t for me anymore. I know it sounds a bit odd but it’s something I’ve thought long and hard about! Can I ask why you don’t enjoy it anymore?

Can I ask why you don’t enjoy it anymore?
When I really think about it, I felt let down with my apprenticeship. I feel like I don’t have any decent fault finding skill. I started out doing plumbing, and have moved over to gas side, which isn’t all I thought it would be, and again my training wasn’t great in that area too. There’s too much I can’t do and don’t know.

My best advice is, take two weeks holiday and try and get in with someone who will let you work with them for two weeks free of charge. See if you like it, it'll give you some idea before you commit to anything. It may waste some of your holidays, but may save you a life time of regret.

It's a very labouring and hands on job, and not everyone is cut out for it (Men and Women). I enjoy it, but there is certain aspects of the work I don't enjoy and wouldn't like to be doing everyday. I'm fortunate that we're in a family firm and we can pick and choose what we like to do and have a large variation of work.

As above really. Try and get some hands on experience for more than just a day or two. Its a big career change and it will be a significant drop in money too for the first couple of years at least so you need to make sure you are going to enjoy it.

In the current climate stick with your current job (if you've been nursing for last 18 months) I think I'd want a change too. If you're really serious go to your local FE/HE college and see if they have a plumbing starter/taster course. Without meaning to be patronising sometimes these colleges hold evening DIY courses for women that include basic plumbing skills and just see if you enjoy and or you have any aptitude for it.

I think this is a great trade to be in. It is vast and there are many avenues you can take (even in one day).

The best thing is to try and get on with a company that does a variety of work in my opinion. You need a taster of as many aspects as you can get. e.g. some people love bathrooms but some go insane being trapped in a small room for 2 weeks. Make sure you aim toward the part that attracted you and keep your mind open to the rest.

I'm a electrician and came across this forum while looking up plumbing apprenticeships and information for my son. He's 15+ and wants to be a plumber. We have so many in the family who are electricians and I think thats why he wants to a plumber. I give him the same advice. Study the skill set required online and even happy to put him into a Tech college for a taster of what's required of him. This in my view is one of the best trades as well as electrical. We all have the best and worst in our jobs to deal with and this will not be any different for you. Finding an apprenticeship with a company would be my preference first. But anyone willing to put on a apprentice is precious.

Reply to Apprentice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock