Search the forum,

Discuss anyone recommend a good affordable multimeter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

obseen16

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. think my multimeter might have gone a little funky. ive been looking at a few with reasonable prices but that are gonna be good and reliable, i stumbled upon this auto range multimeter:

Uni-t UT203 Digital Clamp Multimeter for £30

Just wondered if anyone uses this model or if you have one that you think is the bees knees? my old one cost me £60 and is only 2 years old but seems to give faulty readings on resistance now and then.

I am a fluke man myself
but I have heard and seen that alphatec are pretty good

Depends what you want it for realy.
If it is just for a few volt readings then that will do the job.
If you want the job done with some degree of accuracy then Fluke usually set the standard when you are looking for quality and accuracy.

All Flukes used to be US made with lifetime warranty but now only their more expensive models offer this and the lower end are chinese made with 3 year warranty. Still very good in general though.

i have one of these [DLMURL="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=46392"]UT50C Digital Multimeter with Temperature Frequency : Multimeters : Maplin[/DLMURL] that i use for fault finding on combis mainly, it does the trick and i tried it out up next to my mates fluke ,readings were spot on the same. for the money a good buy i think.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it definately the meter, the leads can usually go before the meter does. I've just ordered a new set of leads for mine cos I was getting bizzare readings. Job sorted now. It's worth trying a set first, unless you are absolutely sure it is the meter.

AH nice thought there ghost it could well be the leads, ill get a new pair tomorrow and give it a whirl.

I got a good set off ebay, sent from canada for less than a tenner. Good quality, not like the chinese rubbish. Delivery was only a few days too.
Try a set off a good working meter, if you have access to one.

I have a dodgy one from shed. I get through 3 a year ish of that type, but at 8 quid a time I have the priviledge of throwing it aroun like a spanner in the back of van. Also carry a nice fluke and the megger for the important stuff.

To be fair, I use a cheap and cheerful Newlec one, it just eats leads though, prob due to wrapping them up after every job. It does get some hammer.
I used it today with the new leads from canada, very good quality and may take a bit more killing than the chinese rubbish.

Why don't you buy an all in one meter? say a fluke 1651, then you could also check the electricity supply to the appliance Ze etc, and it would do everything else you need.

the op asked for an affordable jobby, and if the fluke is as expensive as the megger - 700 quid isnt really affordable !
good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to anyone recommend a good affordable multimeter? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock