Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone know what this is? Old well pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,
Just moved into a new place and we have what looks like an old manual pump from a well or something, can anyone tell me anything about it? The pipe disappears into the block paving.
I can’t get it to move or get it open at the moment, and before I get too brutal I thought it was worth asking. We live in Cornwall so the prospect of free water sounds really good!!

B6F0767C-B6F2-4D74-AD7B-D4B3A9F891F1.jpeg

prob doesnt work but worth a punt

open the tap and wind the spindle

Hi all,
Just moved into a new place and we have what looks like an old manual pump from a well or something, can anyone tell me anything about it? The pipe disappears into the block paving.
I can’t get it to move or get it open at the moment, and before I get too brutal I thought it was worth asking. We live in Cornwall so the prospect of free water sounds really good!!

View attachment 38905
Any body is allowed to abstract up 25m3 water for domestic or agricultural purposes without a licence per day. Free water say £200 + per year is worth a look in my book even if you dont drink it. centralheatking

Agreed - water rates here are over £500/year!!
also, are you on a water meter ?
because your total bill is made up of what volume of mains water you consume then the utilility add 90% to the bill as its deemed you dispose of that volume consumed. Save serious
consumption and save on disposal % costs as well ...its a double winner. change pump for a self priming suction job
£200 from machine mart and you are away but be carefull about what sort of water its is after pulling a few m3 first to clear it, send sample away its cheap imho Rob Foster
centralheatking keep us updated good project in my opinion

Even if you get it going, I’d seriously consider getting it tested first for nasties, just because it comes out of the ground... doesn’t make it safe.
Thanks - to be honest I was planning on only using it for gardens, car washing and kids pool (which is chlorinated anyway). But if it’s clean it would be nicer than tap water!!

Thanks - to be honest I was planning on only using it for gardens, car washing and kids pool (which is chlorinated anyway). But if it’s clean it would be nicer than tap water!!
That will reduce your consumption by up to 50% anyway...hook in the washing machine...happy days even more saving ...let us know what happens please chking
South West water in North Cornwall from Crowdy res is nectar compared to United Utilities ...I know I own property in both areas
Camelford wins hands down...AND NO Camelford water jokes
they would be in very bad taste Rob Foster Centralheatking

"Very bad taste" - great camelford water joke Rob . :D;)
Unfortunately the fall out from the delivery driver tipping into the wrong tank , which was ready to go water, compounded
by advice to boil the contaminated water and concentrate the posion has led to
health issues in a precise geographical area amongst some people that are not understood or acknowledged
by the authorities properly
Rob Foster aka centralheatking

You can be one cryptic guy at times, Rob :)
Bluntly, the Camelford water disaster which could have been avoided by better supervision of the remote Crowdy water treatment plant left South West Water culpable in many ways.
However the authorities conspire NOT to examine the long term effects on their affected customers, some of whom have died. I was not affected in any way but feel as a water engineer that these people have not been looked after properly. Is that less cryptic ..but thank you for commenting...Rob Foster aka
centralheatking

Reply to Anyone know what this is? Old well pump? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hey, here goes and I hope it works.. never used one of these before! I have a Sagittarius Ergo mixer shower min bar of pressure required 1 bar. Connect to this is a 1.5 bar Ora Salamander pump for a positive head, this was connected by a plumber of course and we’ve had it all rigged up...
Replies
Views
K
Hi, So for the past month or so I’ve been intermittently losing water to my house, each time this has happened I’ve been able to manually reset the well pump pressure switch and the pump would turn on and start pumping water. I thought I just needed a new pressure switch, no big deal.. This...
Replies
Views
Kevin L
K
I live in an old house in the Yorkshire dales, it is known as a typical dales house, as its one room wide and long over 40m. The house has been extended over the years and the boiler moved and heating loops added. This is giving me problems as the boiler is now at one end of the house (first...
Replies
Views
Got a replacement combination boiler, less that 1 year old. Noticed some water from the connection pictured. Can't see what is it from the manuals, possibly a rainwater drain? Was told by the person from Vaillant that it was an A A V (auto air vent), but she didn't sound too certain! Can...
Replies
Views
Hello, my Mothers heating failed in the recent UK cold snap. I found the pump was stuck. I have a question about pump orientation. The existing pump flows downwards. The manual for the proposed replacement recommends that it should pump upwards. This would involve rearranging the flow &...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock