Search the forum,

Discuss Anyone have experience with Training providers. Need help in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello everyone, so I've decided to embark on my journey to becoming a qualified plumber. However, i am unsure if these training courses and providers are legit. My brother had an experience a few years ago that turned to be a scam. The company name is 24/7 Training UK. Weekly payments of 45 quid and I will train online and at the training centres to become nvq level 1 qualified then move onto level 2. Anyone had similar experiences with these type of companies? Thank you

1. The problem with these training courses is that it is very difficult for them to give you the practical experience you need to achieve the NVQ's. Getting the NVQs requires assessment in a real world environment, which you can only get working with a qualified plumber. Getting this type of mentoring is extremely difficult, as there is nothing in it for the qualified person.
2. Have a look at this article. Are fast-track plumbing courses just money down the drain? - https://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/may/15/fast-track-plumbing-courses
3. The best way to get into the trade is with an apprenticeship and night school / day release. Not easy past a certain age.
4. Have a word with your local training / education / adult learning centre and see what they can offer.
5. It can be done via the "fast track" route, although its rarely fast, but you will need a huge amount of luck to get someone to take you on.

1. The problem with these training courses is that it is very difficult for them to give you the practical experience you need to achieve the NVQ's. Getting the NVQs requires assessment in a real world environment, which you can only get working with a qualified plumber. Getting this type of mentoring is extremely difficult, as there is nothing in it for the qualified person.
2. Have a look at this article. Are fast-track plumbing courses just money down the drain? - https://www.theguardian.com/money/2010/may/15/fast-track-plumbing-courses
3. The best way to get into the trade is with an apprenticeship and night school / day release. Not easy past a certain age.
4. Have a word with your local training / education / adult learning centre and see what they can offer.
5. It can be done via the "fast track" route, although its rarely fast, but you will need a huge amount of luck to get someone to take you on.
Thank you very much for your reply. The Training provider provides practical training at the test centres. They also said in regards to the qualifications they have work at ongoing construction sites available for us to go and build up a "portfolio" to ensure we receive our accreditation and NVQ status. They're aware that this a requirement. Would it be worth it in this case?. I can't really afford to do an apprenticeship you see. This seems like a better route. But I also want to be able to receive the qualifications. The course advisor claimed that once you're qualified you won't have a problem getting hired.

Would love your input on this, thank you very much

Thank you very much for your reply. The Training provider provides practical training at the test centres. They also said in regards to the qualifications they have work at ongoing construction sites available for us to go and build up a "portfolio" to ensure we receive our accreditation and NVQ status. They're aware that this a requirement. Would it be worth it in this case?. I can't really afford to do an apprenticeship you see. This seems like a better route. But I also want to be able to receive the qualifications. The course advisor claimed that once you're qualified you won't have a problem getting hired.

Also to clarify. The Training isn't fasttrack as in 6 weeks. They claim it will take 12-18 months to become level 2 qualified and then another 12 months for level 3 if I wish to

I managed to get my NVQ2, without ever being officially an apprentice, via an FE college.

That said, I have an academic background that meant learning (and self-learning) is something I was already good at, a lot of DIY experience (and I mean a lot - all the fiddly stuff, old and weird installations, and a full-time volunteer experience at the Centre for Alternative Technology) some site experience, and two friends who were qualified plumbers and able to act as work-based recorders. I was also prepared to go home, buy copper tube, and pull offsets in my lounge until I was good at it.

I haven't tried to get an employed position, but I'd think the questions at this stage would relate to my experience more than my level of qualification. So I'm doubtful you could, necessarily, get a job straight out of college, especially with a fast-track course. There's a lot of people subscibed to the school of thought that someone cannot possibly learn in [whatever] what they learnt in 5 years and that could be an obstacle if your aim is to try to get a job using the qualification alone.

Been in touch with the same company I believe even though the names of all these training company seem to be spins of one another.

Oz-plumber to answer your question it's £7800 to take you to lvl 3 with a C&G lvl 3 as well.

Fed up in my job completely and really don't want to lose money. I know it won't be the easiest getting employment after but just hoping the certificate and qualifications are really. Are they what a technically professional plumber would have in ways of qualifications?

Like Victoria I would also be keen to know if you started this or who you spoke to in your interviews
Initials would be fine. E.g WH

"Fed up in my job completely"
- Don't allow this to make the grass look greener.

Many trainees think they can get experience by offering their time for free. It's not like that, the trainee slows the engineer down and is a considerable drain.

Have you considered paying to shadow someone so you have some idea of what the trade really is - might cost a few hundred. Might save many thousands.

I am looking to change career. I have a young family and need to work round them.

I have been in touch with Access Training. It seems to have some mix reviews.

While there seems to be alot of happy people with the knowledge they have experience, there seems to be just as many who are un happy as they haven't recieved certificates, completed exam's or can't get practical experience ( some of the reviews go back to 2017).

I have been in touch with my local college who doesn't do plumbing, the one that does is over an hour away 2 evenings a week and is about 1/3 the price of access training.

But I'm not sure if I would have the same problems in getting the practical part of the course completed?

Any advice??? I am near Harlow in Essex.

Also in level 2 diploma what would you as a plumber expect to see as a minimum in a course.

My understanding is once the level 2 is completed you then start on NVQ for practical assessment. Is this right?

I did a evening course at college and got my my C&G level 3. As my confidence grew i put the word about with friends and started doing small jobs to gain some experience. I'm now working as sub contractor for a Plumbing company. If i can do it you can.

Why do you think plumbing will allow you to work around a young family? It didn't let me. I regret not spending more time with them, but it is what it is and we wouldn't be where we are today otherwise.

I did an evening course at my local college for 4 years and told my employer and friends who gave me a few easy jobs to do which built up my confidence and gained loads of experience, now i sub contract for a local plumbing and heating company.

They also said in regards to the qualifications they have work at ongoing construction sites available for us to go and build up a "portfolio" to ensure we receive our accreditation and NVQ status. They're aware that this a requirement. Would it be worth it in this case?
If they guarantee you'll actually get the portfolio, then this would at least get you the NVQ.
The course advisor claimed that once you're qualified you won't have a problem getting hired.
I'm sceptical of that claim. The problem with employing a plumber is they can potentially be a liability if they aren't that good, so, even if you'll accept a lower wage, employers may prefer a time-served plumber with experience and documentation of years of work behind them who may be seen as less of a risk. There is not a lack of plumbers in the country - there is a lack of GOOD plumbers (and a lack of customers willing to pay for a GOOD plumber).

Hello everyone, so I've decided to embark on my journey to becoming a qualified plumber. However, i am unsure if these training courses and providers are legit. My brother had an experience a few years ago that turned to be a scam. The company name is 24/7 Training UK. Weekly payments of 45 quid and I will train online and at the training centres to become nvq level 1 qualified then move onto level 2. Anyone had similar experiences with these type of companies? Thank you

How did you get on with this company? My partner is thinking of undertaking a course with them?

How did you get on with this? My partner is wanting to do the same but we aren't its legitimate?

If you are not already qualified at level 3. Secondary education colleges are offering free training at this level. Usually a mix of practical and online /virtual learning. The government are putting a lot of funds to colleges to help people retrain after COVID. I used to own a training company. Be careful fast trac learning is not the answer for any quality learning offer!! Also price is disgusting. Research funded courses for adults - good luck all

Hi,
I am 38 and have a young family, ex military and stuck in a dead end job and am looking to start a career in plumbing knowing i have the ability to pass all relevant training and assessments in order to achieve the qualifications to do so. I am just wondering which is the best way to go about this whilst working around my current work(bills still must be paid and mouths fed) and family commitments. I do have plenty time during the week whilst my kids are at nursery and I'm on my days off(i work 4 on 4 off... time is plentiful). I have been in touch with one of these course providers and he said all the right things(obviously with him trying to sell me a course worth £7,800). But since taking a look into these chats after typing "scam plumbing courses" in google, my confidence in the course and becoming a plumber have severly diminished!.. Please advise as forking out £180 a month whilst being affordable until i obtain full-time emplyment as a plumber, would cripple us if it was nothing ither that a scam.... essentially throwing such an amount ov money in the bin!... Worth doing the course.... or not? Thanks in advance 👍

Hey I've been looking into the same course as you and just wondering if it is a scam or an actual decent course?

im on a level 2 plumbing course with 247 training and they are really good. i havent had any problems and have gone through about 70% of the course so far. All the practical weeks have assesments and you get City and guilds qualifications. Im waiting to start my NVQ level 2 with them as they have constuction sites that they book you onto so you can do your work portfolio so i will get my NVQ and be qualified.
So far absolutley no complaints!!

im on a level 2 plumbing course with 247 training and they are really good. i havent had any problems and have gone through about 70% of the course so far. All the practical weeks have assesments and you get City and guilds qualifications. Im waiting to start my NVQ level 2 with them as they have constuction sites that they book you onto so you can do your work portfolio so i will get my NVQ and be qualified.
So the site work to get the NVQ is guaranteed? That, if so, is good. I know it would be better still to get the experience as an apprentice and a qualification is only worth so much, but it's not possible for everyone so if you are at least genuinely getting the NVQ, that is indeed a good start!

Hello everyone, so I've decided to embark on my journey to becoming a qualified plumber. However, i am unsure if these training courses and providers are legit. My brother had an experience a few years ago that turned to be a scam. The company name is 24/7 Training UK. Weekly payments of 45 quid and I will train online and at the training centres to become nvq level 1 qualified then move onto level 2. Anyone had similar experiences with these type companies? Thank you
Hello, mate. I would like to ask the same. I want to apply for electrician course but I'm not sure about 24/7 training uk. Could you give me any help if you know something about it?
Thank you in advance!

Was your brother scammed by 24/7 training, I would like to know as I've recently enrolled into this course. Anyone know anything about 24/7 training uk?

Hey im thinking of signing up with them but really unsure if they are actually legit and if its worth it! Do you have any info?? Ive seen bad reviews and also where does the practical classroom training take place? Do you have to travel far? And have you been booked on sites as that’s something somebody said they were promised but was not fulfilled!

I am really interested in getting some more information on 247 Training. I am looking at their plumbing renewables course. What concerns me is the only contact is a salesman's mobile phone. There is no head office/admin to contact. They wouldn't give me the address of nearest training centre so I could at least see if it exists! Something doesn't sit well with me.

Any info/experiences would be helpful and appreciated

Probably 247 is subcontracting the course to another firm and is just selling you the ticket and making a mark-up.

I would agree they sound dodgy and quite likely are, from your description.

If they expect payment, I'd be expecting a pro-forma invoice which should at least have a company address.

Was your brother scammed by 24/7 training, I would like to know as I've recently enrolled into this course. Anyone know anything about 24/7 training uk?

Hi mate, I’m literally just looking into starting electrician course.. I’m just doing a bit of research before making payment and was wondering how you’re getting on and if the course is worth the money? Any advice would be appreciated

To those who were thinking about signing up. Did you in the end?

I’d also like to know.. I’ve signed up to the course but not yet made any payments. A little skeptical considering the reviews I’ve read so far! Can’t seem to find anyone who has done the course with a positive outcome!

Hi I signed up to the 247 training uk plumbing course level 2 and 3 nvq but I’ve done about 4 months of theory work at home, I’ve completed 13 modules now having to do a health and safety exam multiple choice( it’s a easy exam but I keep failing I’ve done it 4 times now and you get no help or feedback!)before attending the training centre in Wolverhampton which is apparently called ERR training. But I’ve started to have my doubts about this company and if they are just scamming me out of £7800 pound cause I’ve signed a load agreement with a company call Caledonian consumer finance. There’s a lot of bad reviews saying it’s a scam and I’ve notice when you call 247 training uk it’s goes to a call centre and you speak to a different person each time and they are quite rude and not much help! Can anyone shed any light on this company and if it is a scam or not ?

I am really interested in getting some more information on 247 Training. I am looking at their plumbing renewables course. What concerns me is the only contact is a salesman's mobile phone. There is no head office/admin to contact. They wouldn't give me the address of nearest training centre so I could at least see if it exists! Something doesn't sit well with me.

Any info/experiences would be helpful and appreciated
Hi,
I have been doing the plumbing course with 24/7. I can honestly say I have no issues with them. Any questions I had were answered within 24 hours. The training center I went to was in Wolverhampton. 24/7 don't do the practicals they are done through ERR. ERR have about 7 or 8 training centers throughout the country.The tutors at the training centers are fantastic. They know so much and can teach you what you need to know to be a competent person doing plumbing. ERR have there own construction sites and this is where do you do the NVQ stuff on a real building site in real properties. I have completed all my 42 modules.

Hey im thinking of signing up with them but really unsure if they are actually legit and if its worth it! Do you have any info?? Ive seen bad reviews and also where does the practical classroom training take place? Do you have to travel far? And have you been booked on sites as that’s something somebody said they were promised but was not fulfilled!

Reply to Anyone have experience with Training providers. Need help in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock