Search the forum,

Discuss Anybody drilled through a floor with UFH before? in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

E

Edward Hazell

Looking to install a kitchen island with integral sink, this will mean installing drainage and plumbing. But will need to dig a hole through UFH, has anybody done this before?

I've drilled a hole for a floorboard screw straight through a UFH pipe (luckily in my own home), if that counts. Wouldn't actually have been a big deal had I had an appropriate type of coupling to hand with which to carry out the repair, and, since the circuit was easy to isolate, and it was a timber floor without screed, the consequential water damage was limited to the subfloor needing a quick wipe with a towel.

If you are looking at digging a trench into a screeded concrete floor and avoiding hitting UFH pipework, while I suppose it is theoretically possible, it is a job I would not be eager to take on, and no I haven't done it. Would suggest an infrared thermometer to identify where the pipes are, work slowly and carefully, and be prepared for it to go wrong.

Will your cupboards like being on top of a heated floor? And you need to consider the pipework too. The waste pipe needs to be able to cope with the expansion and contraction, and the cold water supply needs to be kept below 25°C to remain hygienic.

Know anyone with an IR camera? This is what my UFH looks like with one:

FLIR_20211110_100446.jpg

I've drilled a hole for a floorboard screw straight through a UFH pipe (luckily in my own home), if that counts. Wouldn't actually have been a big deal had I had an appropriate type of coupling to hand with which to carry out the repair, and, since the circuit was easy to isolate, and it was a timber floor without screed, the consequential water damage was limited to the subfloor needing a quick wipe with a towel.

If you are looking at digging a trench into a screeded concrete floor and avoiding hitting UFH pipework, while I suppose it is theoretically possible, it is a job I would not be eager to take on, and no I haven't done it. Would suggest an infrared thermometer to identify where the pipes are, work slowly and carefully, and be prepared for it to go wrong.

Will your cupboards like being on top of a heated floor? And you need to consider the pipework too. The waste pipe needs to be able to cope with the expansion and contraction, and the cold water supply needs to be kept below 25°C to remain hygienic.
Thank you, yes I think we may go back to the drawing board and steer away from drilling any holes in the floor

Yes:) Hello Jim, how are you?
Well thank you and yourselves?

What you're considering can be done, however the cutting and excavating would have to be done very carefully/gingerly!

If you have screed on top of an PIR insulation board forming a trench for the waste would be fairly easy, whereas if it's a "rock-hard" concrete subfloor it would require a lot more work ( medium/heavy duty breaker).

Kind regards
Jim

Reply to Anybody drilled through a floor with UFH before? in the Water Underfloor Heating Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock