Search the forum,

Discuss Any idea what's gone on here? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Just moved back to my rental property and noticed a very tiny drip/leak in the basement corner where the pipes from the boiler/CH system go to an outside below ground drain.

Picture below
20220915_101517.jpg

It's happened before where the lightwell on the other side gets filled with rubbish and tenants don't clear out, then clogs the external drain opening and after heavy rain it back spills into basement.

Ok so this morning, it was much more than a drip, a big leak. Yet there has been no rain. Only change is had gas engineer over yday as boiler kept losing pressure. He said expansion vessel had water in it so he fixed all that and repressurised system. Could any of that caused a lot of water to be discharged from central heating system to cause this kind of leak or completely unrelated and I just need plumber to look at drain and pipes pictured?

20220922_075301.jpg
20220922_075321.jpg
20220922_075326.jpg

What’s the 22mm pipe from ?

So likely to be dripping / leaking out of the joint as it looks like it’s been siliconed in

So likely to be dripping / leaking out of the joint as it looks like it’s been siliconed in
Makes sense, doesn't look the best of fittings where these go into the wall and onto the drain. To have that amount of water though, is there any chance that be dispensed from the central heating system overnight or most likely it's leaking out from water on the drain side and through into the basement? Just trying to figure out if I need these gas Safe guys back as weren't cheap or I can get a domestic plumber in

20220922_075321.jpg

Update: cause of big "leak" was gas engineer emptying bucket after bucket of water down the lightwell "drain". Said drain being completely filled with soil and therefore running through the pipe in the wall and out the weak joint between it and the boiler pipes.

Have cleared drain, snake pipe clean the pipe through wall and sealed and tightened the joint to the boiler pipe. It's a short term fix, don't have all my tools with me but basically could do with core drill out the 100yr old pipe through wall and feed new one and make a better connection to boiler pipes

20220925_100839.jpg
20220925_101636.jpg
20220923_100217.jpg
20220923_094141.jpg

Reply to Any idea what's gone on here? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

This issue arose about a year ago. Does anyone have an idea why I occasionally hear (about once every hour or longer) a hammer related noise coming from my copper water pipes when no water is being used? It basically sounds like the noise you hear after the water shuts off when your toilet bowl...
Replies
Views
P
Looking for some help here - not my boiler, so consider me a proxy. I'm also by no means a heating engineer: I'm just looking for pointers, as the owner of this boiler is now caught firmly between "not us", "not us" and "not us" - nobody will take responsibility, and just calls into question...
Replies
Views
N
I had my old boiler replaced and changed to an unvented system and relocated into the loft. Everything worked well for the first month or so. I then had a different plumber and builder to create new bathrooms and also put on new radiators throughout. The original plumber came back to...
Replies
Views
Novice needs help
N
S
I wonder if anyone has any thoughts? Combi Logic 30 Boiler - constant pressure loss - no obvious leaking. Few years ago we got an error code indicating pressure was below minimum. We resolved ourselves by using the manual and topping up per the guide. Sometime later, in some really cold...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution I could see. I'm in Brisbane, Australia but I'm after general ideas from anyone here or in UK (I realise this is a UK based site). Point form...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock