Search the forum,

Discuss Any help with van insurance for young apprentices/plumbers? in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,

Currently my business consists of one van which is the one I use on a day to day basis.

Im taking on an 18 year old plumber in the next few weeks, he's already completed his NVQ2 and as such will be going out doing some small minor repairs in his own van from time to time.

Before I buy a second van for him I wanted to check out the other factors, namely insurance.

Ive tried speaking with several insurance companies and they have given me some ridiculous quotes, one of which was in excess of £10k (Aviva) which is out of the question. I've contemplated having him as a named driver on my policy, however that would mean that in the event of an accident my no claims may be effected, plus it also ties my no claims bonus up with one van and we obviously need two vans so Id have to start from scratch with the second van. Ive asked about fleet policies, however every insurance company I speak with have a minimum of 3-5 vehicles required in order to qualify for a fleet policy.

Back in my day insurance wasn't such a mine field and as an apprentice I drove the van on L plates and just changed the policy when I passed my test, but that's some 17 years ago!

I can't be the only person in this situation surely!?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

It is what it is I'm afraid!

Welcome to the world of employing people in our game.
You will just have to charge out the apprentice at rates that will cover your costs.

Insurance rates are based on historical evidence.

You've got 2 problems;
18 to 23 years old over the last 20 or so years have an appauling record re insurance claims.
And vans are either being stolen or damaged when broken into at almost epidemic levels.

Firstly if he's using his own van for business use he needs his own insurance to cover that even if he's only travelling to sites and not carrying any goods.

Secondly all you can do is keep trying for quotes as it's a strange business.
I had one quote of around £600 for a focus estate (private use) last year and eventually paid £250 and I'm well over 60.

These say 2 vehicles;

If you hire a lad over 21 years you can get a commercial policy so anyone over 21 can drive the vehicle. Maybe get 2 policies or 1 policy for the 2 vans as surely you need to both be able to drive either vehicle (or you'll find yourself driving without occasionally- it's inevitable. I know!! )

Aviva - we have a Limited Company policy on Multi Van with Protected No Claims.

When we came to add a 17 year old driver on they didn't even charge us! Admittedly we have 12+ years NCD, however we didn't even get charged an admin fee.

Over the years we've found them the best for young drivers, we've had two on over the past 6 years who are now nearing 25 however Aviva have always been reasonable with their quotes.

Hi all,

Currently my business consists of one van which is the one I use on a day to day basis.

Im taking on an 18 year old plumber in the next few weeks, he's already completed his NVQ2 and as such will be going out doing some small minor repairs in his own van from time to time.

Before I buy a second van for him I wanted to check out the other factors, namely insurance.

Ive tried speaking with several insurance companies and they have given me some ridiculous quotes, one of which was in excess of £10k (Aviva) which is out of the question. I've contemplated having him as a named driver on my policy, however that would mean that in the event of an accident my no claims may be effected, plus it also ties my no claims bonus up with one van and we obviously need two vans so Id have to start from scratch with the second van. Ive asked about fleet policies, however every insurance company I speak with have a minimum of 3-5 vehicles required in order to qualify for a fleet policy.

Back in my day insurance wasn't such a mine field and as an apprentice I drove the van on L plates and just changed the policy when I passed my test, but that's some 17 years ago!

I can't be the only person in this situation surely!?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Just as a note to all young aspiring drivers ..yes the premiums are huge even when you go on your parents policy...I know as I have many children ...we found that buying a silly moped type thing, taxing it and insuring it but never using the thing...builds up a NCD which pays dividends a year or so later.
My youngest 18 had an Audi A3 recently because he bought it ...and using the system above it realky reduced the payments.....then he wrote it off...as usual..he was ok..and in a micky mouse car for a few years ...now. centralheatking

It’s a nightmare, van insurance is expensive as it is. Then any driver under 25 is also expensive. A combination of the two just means paying ridiculous money. I employ a plumber who’s under 25 and pay a fortune in van insurance.

Reply to Any help with van insurance for young apprentices/plumbers? in the General Off-Topic Chat area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's found it challenging trying to find a place to work, or gain experience in order to obtain my nvq level 2 even though I've passed my level 2 diploma 2...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help me with an ongoing issue I've had since I had an annual service on my combi boiler, which is a Potterton Performa 24. Literally after they left I started experiencing yellow water (pale) from all my taps - hot and cold, including the toilet. This was intermittent and then...
Replies
Views
About 10 months I started having issues with a gas like smell in my home and the gas board was unable to find any gas leak I've still got the issue. When I first made contacted enviromental health I was told the following Could be my drains and to have my drains checked. Could be the sewers...
Replies
Views
I've got an issue with the shower tray not being totally flat. As you can see from the photos, it is about 7mm out at one side. It's leaning towards the waste end though. The shower tray is pushed underneath the tiles. My mate did the tiling and I now realise that we should have put the shower...
Replies
Views
Hello I’m looking for work as a trainee/mate. I live in Lancashire and attended college in Leeds so don’t mind travelling anywhere in the north west. I’m looking to complete my NVQ portfolio the jobs I require On site observation with the college assessor: Health & Safety x2 Installation of...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock