Search the forum,

Discuss Any clever ideas for cleaning soot blockage from Grant Condensing Heat Exchanger? in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Vee

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Anyone got any suggestion on how, if possible you could clear soot from the condensing heat exchanger of a Grant Vortex. Have many of you encountered blockages like this? Have any of you been able to avoid condemnation of the boiler the due to the stainless heat exchanger being blocked? What can be done? Seems a shame to replace as otherwise in reasonable condition.

A lot of the products for cleaning oil heat exchangers are not recommended for condensing boilers .
I take it the spiral turbulators are stuck solid?

Just had a chat with my oil service engineer (I subcontract all my boiler servicing) He confirmed its a scrape and vacuum job Grant don't recommend any of the soot breakers .

Elbow grease, patience and a dust mask. Followed by a big bill at the end.
The worst part of working on oil is a sooted boiler. Especially when they tell you it's been smoking for 3 or 4 days before it locked out.

Classic car enthusiasts often use an ultrasonic bath for de-coking cylinder heads. A couple of minutes treatment and they come out looking like new. Might be worth a try, perhaps?

An update. Boiler cleaned and running fine. Could do with some new turbulators and blast tube. Needed setting up properly. The boiler flue had been replaced by someone following vandalism by tenant. Sootbreaker not applied. (Although Grant Technical were a recommending party too). Appears customer was fed some bull from other engineer trying to get a boiler change.

Reply to Any clever ideas for cleaning soot blockage from Grant Condensing Heat Exchanger? in the Oil and Solid Fuel Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock