Search the forum,

Discuss any advice to offer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

skowi187

can anyone tell me why the hell im not getting any response when applying for jobs with this C.V.:

Tom Schofield

4 Queens drive,

Glossop'

Derbyshire,

SK13 8RB

About me:

I am an experienced, consistent and competent gas service engineer with a great, practical, hands-on approach, who always perseveres to achieve the best results. I am able to work unsupervised or as part of an installation team. I am dedicated to maintaining my quality and standards with a very keen interest to working within the gas industry. I bond well with customers and will always do my up most to ensure I leave a positive company image at the end of the job. I love the challenges that face engineers on a daily basis. I have proved to my previous employers that I am a valuable asset to their teams but due to financial difficulties my last employer couldn't afford the wages I deserved and my employer I was with in my apprenticeship was purely doing his bit to keep the industry going/get cheap labour. I believe that if you are not happy in your job then you are not happy in general and that is why I go to work with a smile on my face. I wanted to be a gas engineer from the age of 14 and as soon as I left school I started my career path. I am always looking to expand my knowledge and if my previous employer hadn't hit financial problems I would have achieved more qualifications and will do as soon as I have the funds to better myself. This is one of the things i love the most about my line of work as there is literally no cap on the amount of training that can be undertaken and there are so many routes to take your knowledge into.
Major life achievements:

-I have successfully completed my City and guilds NVQ in Domestic Gas Installation, Service and Repair.
-I have achieved my key skills level 2 (equivalent to C) in English, maths and information technology.
-I have completed my A.C.S. assessments in the following areas:
Central heating
Cookers
Space heaters
Warm air heating
Pipework
Meters
-I successfully completed the 3 peaks challenge climbing Ben Nevis, Scafel pike and mt. Snowdon to raise money for injured soldiers.
-I rode a bicycle from London to Waterloo in Belgium in 4 days for the above cause
-I have also obtained a technical certificate in plumbing at Tameside College.
-I have attended training courses offered to me by Vaillant and Worcester on servicing and repairing their boilers.

Career experience:

For the first 3 years I was employed and working with a company in Stalybridge installing maintaining and repairing all gas appliances in all types of establishments and for a vast customer client base which included social housing, letting agents, private landlords, small businesses and private customers. After completing my apprenticeship I went to work for a company in Glossop. With this company I gained some invaluable experience as we were tackling extremely different jobs each day. I gained firsthand experience of installing around 30 groundsource/airsource heating systems up and down the country. I was also lucky to be able to carry out oil installation, servicing and repair under the employers OFTEC qualifications. I learnt how to install LPG boilers/cylinders correctly, and of course still did all the gas work on top.

FROM TO COMPANY ROLE

21.08.05 - 12.08.08 - Guardsman Gas Services - Apprentice Gas Engineer

12.08.08 - present - H20 Energy Solutions - Qualified Gas Engineer

On a final note I hold a full U.K. driving license and have my own personal car. I also own my own van and a selection of tools but due to lack of funds I am not insured to drive it. I assure you that once I acquire a job it will be first on my list of things to do.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Tom schofield

OK so that was my C.V. i think if somebody sent me that then would snatch their hand off. i think i make it clear how much i love my job which in a lot of ways constitutes to being a safer engineer than someone who is after a quick buck. i have been sending this out to companies with the following cover email:

Hello sir,
I was wondering whether you have any job vacancies within your company for a qualified engineer? I have attached my C.V. to this email for your viewing. Please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any questions or can point me in the right direction as I am struggling to find work at the moment. I realise that we are quite close to Christmas but if you have any positions now or afterwards I would be grateful if you could consider me. I am willing to undergo an unpaid trial period to see if i am suited to your business and so I can prove I will be a valuable employee.
Thank you for your time
Regards
Tom Schofield

am i somehow making a huge error that i cannot see? any advice would be much appreciated as i am losing my marbles as to whats wrong with it. i have not only just sent them out randomly i have sent them to every gas engineer/company within a 20 mile radious of glossop. iv even posted them to jobs that have actually been advertised on websites etc.
i send the emails because i know how stressed my old boss used to get when he was half way through something with his hands tangled inside a boiler and some kid phoned asking for a job. therfore i reason that if i send emails the engineers can read them at their own leisure. any help guys?

cheers, tom

Hi Mate,
don't take this the wrong way but I think you talk too much (or write anyway).
Keep it simple - just say enough to be heard and then at interview be short and to the point and be ready for the technical questions.
Try and condense your cv a bit and just have one sentence bullets to describe you and your experience. Also get your name in with some agencies and let your technical ability talk them into submission and maybe exagerate your experience - although you have plenty.
P.s don't tell them you can't afford insurance - maybe if you get something(job) you just get it and then nobody needs to know.

You sound un-happy, complain about previous employers, go in to too much details, save it for the interview, apart from why you left GGS and the other company, unless asked. Then keep it brief, you wanted to gain further experiance in a larger company.

Add a sport in to your interest, shows team players.

An employers gets many CV, I gave up after the fith line, too much going on.

CV's should be short and easy to read; if you have 20 CV every day, which would you read fully? yours or the one below.

Name

Tom Schofiled

Date of birth

00/00/1989

Address

4 Queens drive,
Glossop'
Derbyshire,
SK13 8RB

Contact details: Home telephone no: 01457869280
Mobile telephone no:

Academic qualifications

City and guilds NVQ in Domestic Gas Installation, Service and Repair.

A.C.S. assessments in the following areas:
Central heating
Cookers
Space heaters
Warm air heating
Pipework
Meters

Key skills level 2 in English, Maths and IT

Technical certificate in plumbing

Service and repair training courses from Vaillant and Worcester

Full UK driving license

Career history (be brief)

August 05 to August 08; Three year apprenticeship at Guardsman Gas Services; installing, maintaining and repairing gas appliances.

August 08 to present; a company in Glossop, (Add name of company), qualified gas installer with addition training on ground and airsource heating systems, and oil systems service and installation.

Interests and hobbies

Long distance walking
Long distance cycling
Raising money for charity
(Any others?)

Why I would like to be considered for a position in your company

I am a trained and experienced gas service engineer with a practical hands-on approach.
I am able to work unsupervised or as part of a team.

(Add more but keep it brief, it will lead to questions at the interview stage, then tell then about what you did at your previous jobs)

I feel that with the experience and skills I have gained over the last 4 years, I will be an asset to your company.

I am willing to learn and develop my range of skills and qualifications.

I completely agree with the advice. When I was working for an office company i was going through the c.vs of the managers and one of the older directors. I was surprised to see how childish...even compared to my "i got me gcse's :)".

Saying things like "i owned my own business, very sucessful" (just an example) will go further than anything to do with why you left or what you can or cant afford. You got the skills, they can either take you on and improve their business or ignore you and lose out.

nice post.
my company is taking on at the mo, and to be honest c.v. dosnt come into it. all we want to know is how good an engineer are you. past history really for us is irrelevant unless it proves your really good at your job. your c.v. needs to be really short and draw attention, large font on your name works for me as drawing attention then i might read a bit. we recieve 20 c.v's a week and most are not looked at for too long unless you draw my attention to you. do it on your first page.

good luck

I agree,you have to keep cv interesting,thats why after name,I go straight into my cross dressing habits and voyurisam :D

Like kevin's lay out,If skowi is silly enough to think his cv is ok he does not deserve a job,however think a wind up
It is alright saying all you want is someone who can do the job but you do not someone stuck up their own bum and causes friction and disruption in the company :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to any advice to offer? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock