• Welcome to PlumbersForums.net (formerly UKPlumbersForums.co.uk). Please login with your usual username and password. Or register for free if you haven't already done so.

Discuss Any advice on installing basin and tap? in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

OP
falable

falable

Reaction score
Install the tap before screwing the basin to the wall.

Use a washbasin fixing kit to hang the basin on the wall.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-67480-washbasin-fixing-kit/6660F?tc=WT9&ds_kid=92700036659728413&gclsrc=aw.ds&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249413&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7s-Zv8K64gIVBIXVCh34HAbxEAQYAiABEgJaDPD_BwE

Make sure your build a frame and let the bath sit on the frame.
hi, i forgot to mention its a smaller bathroom, just shower/toilet/basin.
also i dont remember where my wall studs are, so will the basin be held onto the wall by just the fixing?

Reaction score
hi, i forgot to mention its a smaller bathroom, just shower/toilet/basin.
also i dont remember where my wall studs are, so will the basin be held onto the wall by just the fixing?

You could try and see what happens. I’ve used them a few times and they have been on solid walls. Baring in mind you’ll also have the pedestal that will also take some of the weight.

Replace all the waste traps and pan connectors with a decent branded types such as MacAlpine. You don’t want to take the stuff apart once its finished.

Rob Foster

Reaction score
Do not use plumbing fittings water or waste from bq etc they are poor quality and do not fit each other well...go to,your local plumbers merchants. Get
plenty of ballo fix valves and bang them in so when you get a water leak you dont have to panic. Use multikwick pan connectors and mc alpine waste. keep us informed of progress ...good look. centralheatking

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
For that type of basin/pedestal you are fine fitting to studwall. The pedestal takes the weight and you just have two screws to stop it coming away from wall. Use brass or stainless steel screws. You don’t need the basin fixing bolts for this situation, and probably that basin could not use them anyway.

Rob Foster

Reaction score
For that type of basin/pedestal you are fine fitting to studwall. The pedestal takes the weight and you just have two screws to stop it coming away from wall. Use brass or stainless steel screws. You don’t need the basin fixing bolts for this situation, and probably that basin could not use them anyway.
Some people have been known to use car body filler to stick basins back to the wall I find it quite effective but you only get one chance. Rob Foster aka centralheatking

Ben-gee

Plumber
Reaction score
That sounds daft, a couple of small blobs of silicone if you must.
Remember these things should all be reversible, if basin gets cracked you shouldn’t have to destroy bathroom to remove it!

WC1

Reaction score
If you don't want to buy them by the box you can get small quantities of stainless steel screws on eBay. Brass is ok but a bit soft. I don't use anything other than s/s in bathrooms and usually throw away screws supplied. I think it's a worthwhile cost.

YorkshireDave

Plumber
Reaction score
If you don't want to buy them by the box you can get small quantities of stainless steel screws on eBay. Brass is ok but a bit soft. I don't use anything other than s/s in bathrooms and usually throw away screws supplied. I think it's a worthwhile cost.
Sorry to be a pedant WC1, but stainless is LESS robust than brass. Stainless is annealed (softened) as part of its corrosion resistance process.
Most brass screws in this instance use a traditional slotted head. Stick with those as the shank under the head is thicker so stronger.

Reactions: WC1

WC1

Reaction score
Hi Dave, I always thought brass was softer, maybe because I usually cam out the brass slots but then I am a self confessed ham fisted vegetarian!
I bow to your superior knowledge.

OP
falable

falable

Reaction score
You could try and see what happens. I’ve used them a few times and they have been on solid walls. Baring in mind you’ll also have the pedestal that will also take some of the weight.

Replace all the waste traps and pan connectors with a decent branded types such as MacAlpine. You don’t want to take the stuff apart once its finished.
i was planning to use a jabsaw and tear into the wall to find the joist, then mark it and patch repair. what do you think?

OP
falable

falable

Reaction score
Do not use plumbing fittings water or waste from bq etc they are poor quality and do not fit each other well...go to,your local plumbers merchants. Get
plenty of ballo fix valves and bang them in so when you get a water leak you dont have to panic. Use multikwick pan connectors and mc alpine waste. keep us informed of progress ...good look. centralheatking
hi, i've been using bnq and screwfix for plumbing supplies. should i continue or replace?

OP
falable

falable

Reaction score
Sorry to be a pedant WC1, but stainless is LESS robust than brass. Stainless is annealed (softened) as part of its corrosion resistance process.
Most brass screws in this instance use a traditional slotted head. Stick with those as the shank under the head is thicker so stronger.
so should i throw away the fixings supplied?
also could you send me a link on suitable brass screws?

Rob Foster

Reaction score
i was planning to use a jabsaw and tear into the wall to find the joist, then mark it and patch repair. what do you think?
I would use a claw or ball peen hammer to knock dainty holes in the wall after I had used a slim screwdriver to locate the studwork and maybe a noggin.
This way you might not damage a cable in the wall. centralheatking

Forum Sponsors

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Plumbase - Plumbing Parts for Plumbers

Underflor Heating Systems by uHeat

Wetroom Supplies by Wetroom Store

Nicobond - Wetroom and Tiling Supplies

Corgi - Plumbing Supplies for Professional Plumbers

Top Bottom