Search the forum,

Discuss Another one joins in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Caj

Hello to you all

Just found the site whilst doing my research on joining the plumbing trade. Hope to use it to answer questions I may have if you all don't mind?

Been going through all the courses on offer (well probably only a few!). Was looking at doing a Master Plumber course with the 6129 but then seen someone offer a Gas engineer course.

So was wondering if people would recommend getting the plumbing course first and then going for gas or would it be better to get the ACS and then see how it goes?

Oh I thought I had it sorted aswell!

Thanks in advance for any replies!!

Cheers

hi Caj
welcome to the forum
the gas course is if you are working for some one that is corgi registered as you have to do some gas work when doing the course I think its 60 hours in 12 months. that not a lot you say but if you are working with some one that installs central heating then in that job there is about 1 hour of gas work if you can get one of these jobs every week then it is still only 52 hours out of the 60 needed. that meens you need to work for a big company are you looking to do that?

Hi and thanks

The gas course I'm looking at is over 24 weeks with 17 weeks work placement to get the relevant work done.

I think it's interested me more because of the corgi side as I would have thought more people go for a plumber who has that qualification.
Though I'm sure there are loads of you who do really well without it and I suppose I wanted the reassurance that Corgi is not the be all and end all of plumbing at the start. Rather something to aim for after you have got the Wet plumbing experience.

I think as you are putting all that money in one basket to get on a course then you want to cover as many bases when you qualify so you can get work.

The aim would be self employement after serving time with a company I suppose to guarantee a start because it's hard to account for all the start up costs such as tools, van, insurance, relevant extra courses etc.

Does anyone have a ball park figure at how much it cost them to start up after they qualified please? Would like to see what was involved before starting and then sinking!!!

Ta in advance all you helpful souls

my first year including the course, part p course, £8600 on a van, advertising, stock, tools i spent £18000, i made £21893 and only worked 5 months, now i have customers and referals my spending on advertising is down, i have only had 3 empty days in the last 22 weeks but i am fitting small jobs in on a weekend so i dont lose customers

Thanks for the numbers uug197h. You have given me a few things to think about. Appreciate your honesty and opinions.

Welcome to the plumbers forums Caj.

Welcome to the forum, happy new year Caj.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Another one joins in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock