Search the forum,

Discuss Another Nerrad VB Wrench video in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep it tightens nuts alright Micky we get it!, :sifone: is it really that much better than a Bacho though?

Its a bit funny really. I wonder what it is like on a stiff nut? Its got serrated jaws and often they dig into a brass fitting or round the arris off the corners of the flats, when you are giving it the heavy ho! you are required to some times on stiff nuts. Make the tests real not bench perfect condition tests. Must admit they do look good through what is the steel they are made of like, Vandium tool grade?

Ill stick with Footprints and Bacho spanners, these seem like a complete waste of money.

I could do it quicker with my adjustable. Another tool to use if you want to slow down and earn less money. There are times when the old way is best.

I disagree about being able to do it faster with adjustables because with adjustables you have to remove the tool from the fitting whereas with the pliers wrench the tool just ratchets round the fitting so to speak.

I can take a spanner off and move it to the next position just as quickly, if not quicker, than some one with one of those. There's also less chance of me slipping off and damaging something when moving the ratchet back.

Seems a bit bulky as well.

Can't think of any job they could do, that I couldn't do with Bahco's, Footy's, pump pliers, stilly's, etc.

Looks good, a bit show offy (nothing wrong with that) but a bit of a gimmic :20:

I can take a spanner off and move it to the next position just as quickly, if not quicker, than some one with one of those. There's also less chance of me slipping off and damaging something when moving the ratchet back.

Guys. You are all wrong :6:

First of all Bernie, there are NO teeth on the jaws. The jaws are totally flat and dead parallel, as parallel as any adjustable spanner.

Mike, for me speed isn't everything but I absolutely guarantee you that with these I would be at least 3 times quicker than you doing up a nut with an adjustable, probably 5 times in all honesty. That's not a comparison of how fast my hands work compared to yours, far from it. It's simply the way the tool works, that's all.

And as far as slipping off, these will act like an adjustable that if you feel are slipping then you can just squeeze the handles slightly more.

It came home to me last week when I had a really tight valve to undo out of a bath mixer, so tight it was untrue. Stuck my Irega's on them and I lent on them so much that I felt they were starting to slip and I would loose my knuckles. Then I stuck my new VB's on it. It was still tight but I'll tell you what not a hint of slipping. Stilsons or footprints would have chewed this valve to buggery, no doubt and I've undone enough fittings in my 25 years on the tools. Once I'd replaced the washer and put the valve back on, you wouldn't known a tool had ever come close to this valve, no teeth marks, no rounded corners, nothing.

Mike Jackson the "fastest spanners in the west!", joking aside ive had my Knipex pliers wrench for about 5-6 years now and only really use the 12" one for pump nuts now, i just prefer to have a single handle in my hand so tend to use a 24/26m open ended spanner for 15mm fittings and a 30/32mm spanner for 22mm and 3/4 fittings although you can bet the day you leave your adjustables in the van is the day the lifts dont work in the high rise flats.

Mike Jackson the "fastest spanners in the west!", joking aside ive had my Knipex pliers wrench for about 5-6 years now and only really use the 12" one for pump nuts now, i just prefer to have a single handle in my hand so tend to use a 24/26m open ended spanner for 15mm fittings and a 30/32mm spanner for 22mm and 3/4 fittings although you can bet the day you leave your adjustables in the van is the day the lifts dont work in the high rise flats.

Adam, I think the fact that you 'reserve' your plier wrenches for pump nuts answers it all. Let's be honest, they are normally the most seized nuts we ever come across in our pllumbing day. Also, they don't distort and clamp the nuts down onto the pump thread like stilsons/footprints/pump pliers.

Adam, I think the fact that you 'reserve' your plier wrenches for pump nuts answers it all. Let's be honest, they are normally the most seized nuts we ever come across in our pllumbing day. Also, they don't distort and clamp the nuts down onto the pump thread like stilsons/footprints/pump pliers.

Enough said. :smiley2:

Like wise Micky, by the way what camera do use for your you tube videos? the picture quality seems really crisp and clear all my photos seem grainy and vivid in comparison.

Like wise Micky, by the way what camera do use for your you tube videos? the picture quality seems really crisp and clear all my photos seem grainy and vivid in comparison.

Thanks Adam. All I use is an iPhone 4.

Another issue with these tools is longevity. The spanners that I use for compression nuts are over 60 years old. My father got given them when he started as an apprentice with the GPO. My 18" Bahco is a good 15 years old. I've yet to have a pair of slip joint pliers last more than 4 or 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Another Nerrad VB Wrench video in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with advanced features - these cordless press tools are engineered for speed, precision, and ease of use across various applications. Just reply to this thread...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock