Search the forum,

Discuss Annual inhibitor concentration testing in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Whilst filling out the new benchmark during the commissioning of a boiler I noticed on the servicing section that there is now a requirement to annually test the concentration of the inhibitor in the system.

Why is fairly obvious, but it’s more the real world how?

Great if you fitted the boiler and always use a particular inhibitor eg Fernox then it’s easy you just get the Fernox test kit and away you go.

However, day to day we attend boilers that we’ve previously had nothing do with so have no idea what inhibitor is in there.

Is there a generic inhibitor testing kit available that isn’t brand specific? I found this article below:

HVP Magazine - https://www.hvpmag.co.uk/Annual-inhibitor-checks-are-vital-for-system-protection-explains-the-HHIC/11131

Now to the real world! If a generic kit isn’t available. What is expected of us as service engineers. Are we expected to either carry multiple test kits which still won’t cover all cases or drain down and refill with your referred inhibitor? Baring in mind they often says not to mix the brand of chemicals.

Seems to me a little impractical in the real world.

Probably to shift the onus and costs to the service engineer.
Warranty call, waters poor, not covered, service engineers fault for not checking water. ££££££.

Foe a proper test it will need sending away, not cheap.
Just chuck in a bottle of cheap inhibitor in at every service. Arse covered.

Ah. But then they'll say you didn't have a proper test carried out. Then they'll ask whether the TDS is within acceptable levels and what about turbidity?

Surely, though, if we're talking about the Benchmark, then either you'd know what inhibitor has allegedly been used.

If there isn't a benchmark or any documentation, then flush and refill is best advice and up to customer if they choose not to go for it. Am I missing something?

Ah. But then they'll say you didn't have a proper test carried out. Then they'll ask whether the TDS is within acceptable levels and what about turbidity?

Surely, though, if we're talking about the Benchmark, then either you'd know what inhibitor has allegedly been used.

If there isn't a benchmark or any documentation, then flush and refill is best advice and up to customer if they choose not to go for it. Am I missing something?
Only asking for inhibitor concentration.

Fair point, but if they want to shift responsibility when something goes wrong, they'll still blame the water quality if it fails to meet spec regardless of the inhibitor concentration, won't they?
Warranties (insurance) will always look for an easy out.

Probably to shift the onus and costs to the service engineer.
Warranty call, waters poor, not covered, service engineers fault for not checking water. ££££££.

Had crossed my mind but do see the value in it, if it can reasonably be done. Of course anything can an done!

Reasonable approach if there’s no compatibility issue of mixing chemicals. 🤷‍♂️
[automerge]1604166042[/automerge]

You’re not missing anything just a discussion how to comply. So customer says how much to service my boiler. You quote to refill and drain and service and someone say to customers no you don’t need to do that. charges much less than you, customer sees a cheaper price and goes for it. You lose the job. You see it happening all the time.

Agreed, as mentioned if you’ve installed it and know the history, easy no drama.

Last edited:
I have been looking at the Adey instant test kit.
looks good but will
Cost £3-£5 per test plus the time involved.
Then you have to argue with the customer about why they need a flush and/or inhibitor.

I have been looking at the Adey instant test kit.
looks good but will
Cost £3-£5 per test plus the time involved.
Then you have to argue with the customer about why they need a flush and/or inhibitor.

Just found this:

Universal! That might solve the ‘how’ for testing. Still leaves the compatibility of chemicals as a potential issue, although I suspect that’s not really an issue more like a method to get people to stick to a specific brand. Only option is drain, flush and refill with preferred choice.

Sounds to me like a manufacturer's wheeze to get out of the ridiculously long warranties being offered at the moment. How can anyone offer a ten year guarantee on a device running at high temperatures with lots of moving parts, lots of electronics and no control over how it is used? Easy, just find any excuse not to honour it.

Just found this:

Universal! That might solve the ‘how’ for testing. Still leaves the compatibility of chemicals as a potential issue, although I suspect that’s not really an issue more like a method to get people to stick to a specific brand. Only option is drain, flush and refill with preferred choice.
Although it says it tests the alkalynity, which makes me wonder whether it is just universal indicator solution?

Although it says it tests the alkalynity, which makes me wonder whether it is just universal indicator solution?

Probably yes. Below is a quote from the article in the link in my original post that implies testing the alkalinity is the generic approach being look at.

The HHIC wishes to help develop a solution which works for both the installer and their customer. As such, we have been actively working on an initiative with our water treatment group members to enable an annual test of various inhibitor products to be undertaken with a single test kit, focused on a single common element of all inhibitors – alkalinity.

Saw this in the gas engineer monthly mag.

Says all chemicals! And it’s by scakemaster so a reputable brand.

View attachment 46436
[automerge]1606556746[/automerge]
Saw this in the gas engineer monthly mag.

Says all chemicals! And it’s by scakemaster so a reputable brand.

i-Test on-site testing kit.

I have just got the Fernox test strips. Says it should work with most brands.
I will try it on my own system this weekend.

Litmus paper does the same thing? I think most manufactures recommend a ph of around 8, slightly alkaline which is all inhibitor does I think? Where as central heating cleaner, flux etc makes the water acidic.

Whilst filling out the new benchmark during the commissioning of a boiler I noticed on the servicing section that there is now a requirement to annually test the concentration of the inhibitor in the system.

Why is fairly obvious, but it’s more the real world how?

Great if you fitted the boiler and always use a particular inhibitor eg Fernox then it’s easy you just get the Fernox test kit and away you go.

However, day to day we attend boilers that we’ve previously had nothing do with so have no idea what inhibitor is in there.

Is there a generic inhibitor testing kit available that isn’t brand specific? I found this article below:

HVP Magazine - https://www.hvpmag.co.uk/Annual-inhibitor-checks-are-vital-for-system-protection-explains-the-HHIC/11131

Now to the real world! If a generic kit isn’t available. What is expected of us as service engineers. Are we expected to either carry multiple test kits which still won’t cover all cases or drain down and refill with your referred inhibitor? Baring in mind they often says not to mix the brand of chemicals.

Seems to me a little impractical in the real world.
I bought a Sentinel test kit, but found the colour chart hard to tell whether it was OK or not. Nowadays I take a sample of the water, about 50ml in a jam jar, when checking the Magnaclean. Drop in a few bright wire nails. They'll go rusty in 2-3 weeks if the inhibitor is low.

I bought a Sentinel test kit, but found the colour chart hard to tell whether it was OK or not. Nowadays I take a sample of the water, about 50ml in a jam jar, when checking the Magnaclean. Drop in a few bright wire nails. They'll go rusty in 2-3 weeks if the inhibitor is low.
We're back to the old ways then ;) . Though I admit that is often my method, not being a boiler installer myself and not having to complete the Benchmark. I have some jars that are over a year old and it's very reassuring to know I definitely put enough inhibitor in those systems.

first test said low inhibitor so I added 0.5l of Adey MC1 (not Fernox) and the 2nd test shows all good
5D7FB147-B576-4B4E-AA53-6C6DC172AA99.jpeg

first test said low inhibitor so I added 0.5l of Adey MC1 (not Fernox) and the 2nd test shows all good
View attachment 46799
Thanks for the update. I wonder what the fernox kit is actually measuring? I don’t really understand the ppm or mg/L scale associated to the result. I know what the units are but not what they are actually measuring. Presumably it measures a actives concentration and therefore not a generic pH test. What would happen if the inhibitor used didn’t have that active presumably the test would be useless.

Sounds to me like a manufacturer's wheeze to get out of the ridiculously long warranties being offered at the moment. How can anyone offer a ten year guarantee on a device running at high temperatures with lots of moving parts, lots of electronics and no control over how it is used? Easy, just find any excuse not to honour it.
10 year warranty on the foundations and brickwork on a new build property BUT 12 years on the boiler.

I am happy to be working in an industry where the manufacturers can create a product more reliable than a brick.

Reply to Annual inhibitor concentration testing in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock