Search the forum,

Discuss Annual Boiler Service Advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I have an Ideal Logic Heat 15 System boiler which was installed in my new build 7 years ago. Therefore the 7 year manufacturer warranty has just ended!

The system has been serviced annually by the company that carried out the original install and in addition to the Boiler and System Service they have also carried out the Unvented System Service (and Test).

I have been looking into taking out an insurance policy which should protect me from the cost of any breakdowns or repairs in the future.

The annual service provides....

2021-07-29 Annual Service.png

But says nothing about an Unvented System Service!! Should I be worried about not having this service each year?

The small print states what the insurance plan provides....but appears not to cover the thermal store (unvented cylinder)!

2021-07-29 This plan provides.png

Cost is £17 per month (which includes an annual service of the boiler). What are the views of our experienced heating engineers.

My view is that insurance policies only exist to make (a lot of) money for the underwriters and agents. It makes sense, therefore, only to take out insurance against risks you can't afford to cover yourself and 'self-insure' for the rest. So, for me that means 'yes' to buildings and contents insurance, but no to domestic appliances. Just put the insurance premiums you would have paid into a building society account and after a few years you'll have a useful 'repair fund'.

In my part of the world (the SW) having a good independent heating engineer perform an annual service and safety check on a boiler and unvented system is about £70 for the boiler and £10 for the unvented (give or take). So, you'd be saving about (£17*12-£70) = £134 / year for your parts/replacement fund.

You'll probably find that insurance policies are easy to buy and pay for but when you try to claim suddenly there are all sorts of obstacles and delays. Another trick they play is to make the premiums initially attractive and them ramp them up as the boiler ages. Depending on the policy you may be stuck with their engineer who may be motivated by a commission to condemn your boiler as BER (beyond economic repair) and in need of replacement earlier than an independent.

In my experience, the best deal is to get a good independent firm to install and service your heating. Pay their invoices on time (and cheerfully) and when there are problems they'll consider you a good customer and will go the extra mile go get the issue resolved.

That looks like bg spec ?

Your best insurance is to find a friendly local plumber and use their services when needed. Insurance companies have teams of people who are well paid to find an excuse not to pay a claim and / or sell services to you which often you don't need and are done poorly by subbies (I'm not cynical btw)

I agree against insurance. Also, once out of warranty, I’d get it service every 2 years.
That's bad advice there, should be done every year on a condensing boiler. There's too much to go wrong, you'd get away with it on a non condensing flat bed burner. But the Ideal Logics the sumps can crack, leaking condensate back into the boiler. If it's not serviced for two years and it has been leaking then well I can tell you you'll be having a new boiler....

That's bad advice there, should be done every year on a condensing boiler. There's too much to go wrong, you'd get away with it on a non condensing flat bed burner. But the Ideal Logics the sumps can crack, leaking condensate back into the boiler. If it's not serviced for two years and it has been leaking then well I can tell you you'll be having a new boiler.***
Have you passed this information onto the manufacturer? This seems like a design issue that you may have just saved them from a class action. How did they respond to your findings?

Reply to Annual Boiler Service Advice in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

G
I recently had a service on my worcester bosch boiler by Warmserve supposedly reputable which is under guarantee and before the service I had no problems but straight after the service I had a leak from the boiler which when the service engineer came back told me I needed a new condensate trap...
Replies
Views
My daughter lives alone in a 3 bed semi in the west country. The house is 20 years old. The central heating and hot water are provided from a Glow-worm gas boiler working in conjunction with a Boilermate 2000. The central heating pipework is microbore. In view of the age of the boiler and...
Replies
Views
R
Hello Just a quick question. I had a new Vaillant ecotec plus boiler installed in Nov 2021, with a 10 yr extended warranty. I've been trying to get an engineer in for weeks to do the first service but the earliest appointment is just after Christmas - have I invalidated the warranty? Or is...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi All, what's the cost of a service for an unvented system ? (valiant boiler & mega flow cylinder). I was charged £320.00, for the following: Boiler service - no parts changed. Change wireless thermostat (honeywell to Tado), I supplied the thermostat starter kit. is that about correct ? Also...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone! Parents not used the boiler since 2013/2014, since installing a new wetroom for them they have now decided its worth getting the boiler running again. The only reason it has not been used i so long is the the zone valve kept getting stuck (would have fixed this myself if i knew!)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock