Search the forum,

Discuss American Fridge contamination - help please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

D

Daizylindsay

Hello all, this is my first post!
My husband is a builder and has recently been doing up our house (well gradually since 97!), in October, after 18 months, we finally fitted the American fridge freezer - a Samsung plumbed one. Since then we have found a chemical taste in the ice and water in the fridge, after three engineer visits we have realised that the problem isn't within the fridge itself - we have fitted new tank and filters etc to no avail. The problem must be in the plumbing to the fridge itself.

Over the past week we have noticed a knocking sound from the pipe between the kitchen sink and the new fridge, it has got my husband thinking thatayne we need a non return valve between the fridge and the sink. The dishwasher/outside tap and kitchen sink all T off under the sink, does it sound viable that the contamination could be from these as we haven't got a non return valve?

Sounds like the knocking noise is water hammer, the pipe to the fridge is either not clipped or has come loose,

you could put a non-return valve in but this would not be causing the contamination,

chemical taste in the water, check the pipework to make sure its connected to the right sourse first!

I'd physically check the pipework not just think, yes its connected to the cold mains!

Sounds like the knocking noise is water hammer, the pipe to the fridge is either not clipped or has come loose,

you could put a non-return valve in but this would not be causing the contamination,

chemical taste in the water, check the pipework to make sure its connected to the right sourse first!

I'd physically check the pipework not just think, yes its connected to the cold mains!

Thanks for your reply, we know that it is connected correctly to the cold main as he went under the floor yesterday and checked it. The pressure etc is really good it's just the chemical taste which is horrible. The engineer tested the taste before it went into the fridge by disconnecting it and letting some spray out and it still smelled foul.

Was new pipework installed to the fridge or was it 'recycled'? Although all the ones I've piped up have an indepenant filter.

If the water is fine at the kitchen sink, disconnect the wate from the back of the fridge, taste the water from the copper pipe not the connector to the fridge. If this tastes fine and I'm sure it will there is a contaminant getting in from somewhere on the fridge side.

Do you use chilled water from fridge or just for ice?
Some filters you have to draw a lot of water through the filter to clear the carbon first

Yes we use chilled water and ice. We have drawn buckets and buckets out but taste still there. Husband has tasted water in pipes before fridge and they are nowhere near as bad but still tainted.

How long is the pipe run from the cold main to the fridge? not sure how you could be cross contaminating from another appliance as they are only connected to the cold main? Try disconnecting all of the other appliances and run it through the fridge to see if they are causing the problem,

Had the same problem a few years ago and was due to the fridge being connected via a washing machine hose, rather than soft copper or hose supplied by manufacturer.

Hi,

Have to agree with clivetheplumber, Do not use a washing machine hose, they are no good for potable water, use a dishwasher hose, they are normally black and thinner than a washing machine hose.

I think you will find this will cure the problem.

David

Reply to American Fridge contamination - help please! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock