Search the forum,

Discuss Alpha CB24x boiler keeps turning off!!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tommyg01

I have an Alpha CB24x boiler that turns off after around 10 minutes of running hot water. The red light comes on and I have to reset and it will then run for approx another 10 minutes etc. It also does this when the central heating is turned on. I have watched/listened at the boiler during all of this and generally there is a whooshing noise and the pressure gauge goes up, then the whooshing stops and the boiler turns off and the pressure drops back down again, followed by the red light. Hope someone has some ideas on this.

Thanks

Tom

Sounds like an overheat issue, possible pump issue when getting hot, sludge main heat exchanger. Could be a variety of different things

Hi Jack,

I had a good look inside yesterday and the the pipes at each end of the DHW heat exchange had small leaks. I tried to tighter the nuts and shall have to see if it leaks again later, and also if it has made any difference to the running water issue.

Thanks

Tom

Well you're a brave man tightening those. Normally you threaten to do so and a leak springs up elsewhere with fright!!! LOL .... As said above initially it sounds like an overheating issue usually down to poor circulation! What light sequence do you see when the boiler cuts out? Red flashing or on continuously? Light B on or off?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well you're a brave man tightening those. Normally you threaten to do so and a leak springs up elsewhere with fright!!! LOL .... As said above initially it sounds like an overheating issue usually down to poor circulation! What light sequence do you see when the boiler cuts out? Red flashing or on continuously? Light B on or off?

I didn't realise I was being brave, otherwise I might not have done it. The red light comes on continuously and I have to do reset. Then it will be fine for another 10 minutes and I need to do reset again. I did try something I read on this forum of having the central heating on and then running a shower and it didn't cut out. Although the heating on by itself usually only lasts 10 minutes before the red light comes on.

Tom

I didn't realise I was being brave, otherwise I might not have done it. The red light comes on continuously and I have to do reset. Then it will be fine for another 10 minutes and I need to do reset again. I did try something I read on this forum of having the central heating on and then running a shower and it didn't cut out. Although the heating on by itself usually only lasts 10 minutes before the red light comes on.

Tom

If red light is on continuously Tom then its an ignition issue. Problems with the burner, flame detection etc. Not much you can do unless you're GSR! You can however post a general whereabouts here I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas engineer. and see if you get any Private Messages from engineers offering their services :)

If red light is on continuously Tom then its an ignition issue. Problems with the burner, flame detection etc. Not much you can do unless you're GSR! You can however post a general whereabouts here I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas engineer. and see if you get any Private Messages from engineers offering their services :)

I do have it serviced by an Alpha engineer, but he is more interested in the quick jobs with high profit ie: replacing the flow switch every 2 years for £109 plus vat (in approx 5 minutes), than spending a few hours fixing bigger problems. It's due a service in a few weeks so I shall ask him again about this problem, if he is not interested then I will take up your idea of getting another engineer.

Thanks

Tom

I have an Alpha engineer that does the servicing, which is due in a few weeks, so I shall ask him again about this problem. I get the feeling it's a big job to fix and he much prefers the 5 minute repairs ie: replacing the flow switch for £109 plus vat and the 10 minute yearly service (which goes up in price every year). If he doesn't offer to fix it this time, maybe I will ask around for another engineer. Thanks for your help.

Tom

Change the Primary NTC sensor!!!!!

Hi Alpha man ... I thought red continuous was an ignition fault. I know the initial post sounds more like overheating but the op mentioned the red light on permanent?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Alpha CB24x boiler keeps turning off!!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock