Search the forum,

Discuss All new radiators top half hot ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi,

I had whole house radiators installed (and new boiler and unvented cylinder system), totally 11 radiators+3 towel rails in the bathrooms.
The 11 radiators were installed by the boiler engineer, the 3 towel rails were installed by bathroom fitter.

The 3 towel rails all are evenly hot from top to bottom, however the 11 radiators only top half hot, the bottom half warm only; if top half warm, then bottom half cold. I asked the boiler engineer who installed them why and if he can fix it to make it evenly hot, he said he couldn't because they are new radiators and new system, so he couldn't do anything about that......

I know if old radiators/system could have sludge which will make radiator top half hot/bottom half not, but my radiators all are new and system is new too, why is this?
Again, my 3 towel rails all are evenly hot, just not the radiators.....

Thank you!

Are the lockshield valves fully open ?

Are the lockshield valves fully open ?
Just to ensure my understanding of the lockshield valve is correct, it is like the attach picture, right?

I don't think the house's radiators' lockshield valves are fully open as they need to be balanced, don't they?

Or they actually should/can be fully opened?

One of my radiators not hot, so once turned the lockshield valve anti-clocked wise, it becomes hot.

Attachments

• lockshield valve.png
    lockshield valve.png
    43.8 KB · Views: 7
Yes sounds like the flow is too much and it’s needs balancing he should of done this ?

Yes sounds like the flow is too much and it’s needs balancing he should of done this ?
Flow is too much---did you mean the lockshield valves are fully opened that's why the flow is too much? Therefore the radiators are not evenly hot?
The boiler engineer said: he does not know why because this is new system, new radiators....

Correct he’s installed the system so he should know / book stops with him how did you find him to do the work ?

Correct he’s installed the system so he should know / book stops with him how did you find him to do the work ?
It may be the case that he opened all the radiators' lockshield valves fully open as he tried to show me all radiators are working/hot, but this, as you said, could results in flow too much & not evenly hot?
He said he did not know how to do...
I found him on Checktrade.

Is he even gas safe ?

Get the other / main one back

Get the other / main one back
This boiler boss is very mean even if it's his fault /responsibility, he would not spend £1 for his mistakes.
If he needs to get the installer back, he needs to pay him, so he would rather leave all the issues to me but get someone do the correction.
For example, the boiler's zone valve for hot water never closed, even if the programmer is on for a long time, the boiler keeps firing. I told him this many times, he finally texted me: "this should be wiring issue which I am not able to do it, I can recommend an electrician for you but it will be at your expense"
He/his team installed the boiler, now it has issue well within warranty time, he told me to pay for his electrician to repair it as he does not know boiler wiring!

A boiler gas engineer is supposed to know boiler wiring, isn't he?

Yes hope you haven’t paid him

Yes hope you haven’t paid him
Paid all already...
After the installation, the pipes burst which resulted in heavy leak from the cylinder & no hot water/ water volume smaller etc.

Even if I told him all the symptoms i.e. no hot water/ tap water volume smaller, he did not realise it was leaking.
He said there isn't non-return valve installed caused no hot water, then he came back with non-return valve trying to install it.

BUT, before he came, I got another separate gas engineer to check, he diagnosed it was leaked somewhere as water volume was smaller & even if shut down the stop clock tap the water meter still went.---which he was right!
Also, he pointed to me that there IS non-return valve there!

Luckily, I got this separate gas engineer came and checked, otherwise the boss boiler engineer would have installed another non-return valve to my system again! This will conflict with the existing non-return valve!

How come as a gas engineer, he does not know if the system has non-return valve installed already??

Time to consult a solicitor

Time to consult a solicitor
He does not even know if the external frost stat is in use or not. I can give 10 other examples....
He is not competent on the boiler/system installation for sure!
But, what I cannot figure out is: how could he successfully registered on GSR? How could he be Worcester Bosch accredited installer?

Reply to All new radiators top half hot ? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock