Search the forum,

Discuss Albion Mains flow coil failure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kev the gas

Evening all,

I fitted an Albion Mainsflow Contractor indirect approx 7 years ago.

The cust has just phoned to say the expansion tank in the loft for the thermal store is overflowing, he has tried isolating the ball valve but still it overflows.

Obviously the coil in the cylinder has split ( pressurised system) and is losing pressure gradually over time.

The cylinder is out of warranty, I just had a quick google and found some suggestions of using a plate heat exchanger ?? ( they were on diy sites)

Any suggestions if this could be done without replacing the cylinder, unable to get a warning pipe to outside due to extensions ect and the cylinder is in the middle of the house, hence no unvented cylinder installed.

The cylinder is piped up as a traditional system using 2 x zone valves.

Any thoughts/ suggestions.

Kev.

Have you confirmed its the coil failed and not a thermostat?i would check with albion if its possible to change the coil but i doubt it
An external plate could be possible i would assume you would need to cut two flanges in and possibly another pump switched from a flow switch on the main there was a kit around at one time for converting normal cylinders possibly called hot box ?

Evening all,

I fitted an Albion Mainsflow Contractor indirect approx 7 years ago.

The cust has just phoned to say the expansion tank in the loft for the thermal store is overflowing, he has tried isolating the ball valve but still it overflows.

Obviously the coil in the cylinder has split ( pressurised system) and is losing pressure gradually over time.

The cylinder is out of warranty, I just had a quick google and found some suggestions of using a plate heat exchanger ?? ( they were on diy sites)

Any suggestions if this could be done without replacing the cylinder, unable to get a warning pipe to outside due to extensions ect and the cylinder is in the middle of the house, hence no unvented cylinder installed.

The cylinder is piped up as a traditional system using 2 x zone valves.

Any thoughts/ suggestions.

Kev.

Was there a prv on mains?

I visited today and had a look.

The cust had isolated the mains to the expansion tank as i told him to do, but not the way I told him to do , in his own little way which did nothing !!!!

The leaking aav by the boiler may well be his leak in pressure fitted by his builder when fitting under floor heating.

And yes I had fitted the pressure reducing valve supplied with the Mainsflow Contractor kit .( I must admit it was a long time ago and did wonder about it all night) :50:

That is the last time I give advice/ listen to a cust when he has a problem

Kev

Sorry, it appears it was the ball valve which was letting by, the cust had ruled it out for me :hand:

My mate who works for the gas board said it could be.......... (His mate is in the cold calling Center.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Albion Mains flow coil failure in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. As the title says, I have a problem with an unvented cylinder I had installed last year where the first time I turn a hot tap on after the cylinder has been heated I get what sounds like a vibration. It generally starts about 1s after I open the tap and lasts for about 1.5s. I've...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am renovating a small bathroom in an apartment on the 5th floor. Heating is electric, no gas or oil. I have four (related) questions about this below. I had intended to reuse the cold water tank and the cylinder sitting underneath it but my plumber suggested I replace the cylinder as...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I have a WorcesterBosch Greenstar 42CDi classic combi, which is providing DHW fine, but not heating. Was working fine in spring, probably not been used until recently now it's colder. When heating is called for, the boiler fires up ok but soon shuts down the heater as the...
Replies
Views
First post as I can not figure this one out. I have a hot water boiler heating system, gas fired, with an HTP SuperStor indirect hot water tank. I'm on well water and have a water softener and two whole house filters for my water. Three days ago I found my high pressure relief valve tripped...
Replies
Views
Trying to add a shower into a small bathroom, I'm looking at moving my hot water cylinder to the loft. Currently, I have a vented 200L cylinder (in the bathroom) with the principal source of heat being an Economy 7 setup, which gives adequate hot water for our needs. The cylinder also has an...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock