Search the forum,

Discuss Airlocks and bleeding commercial heating system in the Ireland area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

My elderly mother in law lives at the top of a 7 storey block flats, and her radiator needs constant bleeding.

The heating system is managed by the management company, but the plumbing in her flat is her responsibility.

I am seeking advice because conversations about heating quickly move from identifying problems to who has responsibility.

My purpose is to get external advice so I can better judge what is happening. We just want her to have heating that works (and we dont mind spending money to achieve it.).

I have two questions:

1) The radiator keeps filling with air. I am told that the system is clean (confirmed by our plumber). Is there any reason why a commercial heating system cannot have automatic venting valves added? One plumber says no, another says it would be no problem.

2) If the system is clean then is the air, and the airlock most likely to be the result of an ineffective refilling of a system after a draindown; a problem with the plumbing or something else?

Thanks

Commercial systems often have auto fill valves. If the auto air vent were to go faulty/leak and no one was home, it could be an issue.

Saying that, you could attach a level valve to the top of the rad before an auto air vent.

Lever valve would stay closed until needing to vent. Open valve (level is easier than bleed key for the aged), auto air vent expels air, close lever valve.

In my opinion, the building should take responsibility.

Does she own the flat outright ?

Has the statement "but the plumbing in her flat is her responsibility" come verbally from the management company or does the Lease for the flat state all plumbing including the heating system?

Is hers the only flat on the 7th floor, if not do others have similar issues with air?

Does the building have a central boiler(s) system feeding a Heat interface unit for each flat, then a separate system within the flats or does the central boiler(s) system flow directly into each flat?

Reply to Airlocks and bleeding commercial heating system in the Ireland area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock