Search the forum,

Discuss air source advise/instalation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

hi all . i have a 80,s build chalet bungalow,oil heated/radiators and log burner,the chalet design is fairly open plan with only 2 of three bedrooms 1 bathroom and one toliet, being seperated by doors from living room,kitchen ,dining room 2nd bathroom and upstairs bedroom all being open plan i am looking into running an air source heat pump thru my existing oil system, with the idea of reducing my oil burn to whenever the air source cant keep up . and i feel able to do the instalation, if i can get some basic advice ? 1,is it a sensible ides.2, what the vave/pump implications will be. looking forward to all views/ideas cheers.

To operate an ASHP would require the radiators at least to be change to provide enough heat with a reduced flow temperature. Due to the existing system requiring a complete remodeling it would better to do that proper once and get rid of the oil altogether

Split Air conditioning units are great if sized and installed correctly

Is the op thinking more along the heat pump type unit I.e. warm air?

no heat pump thru existing fairly big radiators with i think a required buffer tank. i was thinking 16kw ? am i nuts or is it realistic ? if my incomming water to oil fired is warmer ? i will burn less oil to get to req room temp. no ?

A buffer tank would be the easiest but it would be cheaper to operate than oil with the heap pump alone if done correctly plus then you can claim back the feed in tariff

A buffer tank would be the easiest but it would be cheaper to operate than oil with the heap pump alone if done correctly plus then you can claim back the feed in tariff

Thanks for reply.reply . I in france so no a aplicable rebate. So if I run heat pump into circuit of boiler.boiler . what's the deal with boiler thermostat?do I just set that for 20 c in the room.room . the boiler temp will be somewhat higher.higher . what I would really like is some kind or cicircuit diagram on how best to plumb heat pump in. And I guess the heat pump delivery/rtn pipework should be as large bore as possible.possible . my existing boiler main pipes are 28mm external

You will have to reduce to flow temp of the oil boiler as the heat pump will have a maximum operating temp much lower than what the boiler can achieve hence the entire system would be more suited to the heat pump. A proper system would have the heat pump as the prime heat source and the alternate oil as a back up not the other way round

You will have to reduce to flow temp of the oil boiler as the heat pump will have a maximum operating temp much lower than what the boiler can achieve hence the entire system would be more suited to the heat pump. A proper system would have the heat pump as the prime heat source and the alternate oil as a back up not the other way round

understood. where would i find the info on how best to install/plumb this up ? are you saying the oil boiler would be simply lifting the feed temp of the supply to the heat pump,thus making it more efficient ? due to the house age, 80,s and insulation level ,ok but not as good as new built. and radiators again fairly big. but of uncertain flow rates. i am not sure heat pump alone would do the job on colder days. thus the idea of keeping the oil system but only burning oil on days when heat pump struggling . i have looked at cool energy 16kw at about 2 500 and dream heat pumps at about 2,200 not incl piping buffer tank or valves . our next door similar design and age house and existing radiators but with new foil layered roof insulation has a similar system and it works ok but they light the fire on colder days. and have no oil boiler. i want to have the choice , if heat pump good enough oil wont need to run ,simples. i hope

before looking at a heat pump improve the buildings insulation otherwise it will end up a costly mistake

understood. where would i find the info on how best to install/plumb this up ? are you saying the oil boiler would be simply lifting the feed temp of the supply to the heat pump,thus making it more efficient ? due to the house age, 80,s and insulation level ,ok but not as good as new built. and radiators again fairly big. but of uncertain flow rates. i am not sure heat pump alone would do the job on colder days. thus the idea of keeping the oil system but only burning oil on days when heat pump struggling . i have looked at cool energy 16kw at about 2 500 and dream heat pumps at about 2,200 not incl piping buffer tank or valves . our next door similar design and age house and existing radiators but with new foil layered roof insulation has a similar system and it works ok but they light the fire on colder days. and have no oil boiler. i want to have the choice , if heat pump good enough oil wont need to run ,simples. i hope
before looking at a heat pump improve the buildings insulation otherwise it will end up a costly mistake

insultation not bad. snow on roof only melting around flue exit walls polystrene filled cavities house is chalet type and ceilings t and g. cavity from there to tiles is 100mm rockwool and as designed cant get any better

Having an ASHP as a supplement is not an install I have any experience with. But have I have a lot of experience with wrongly designed and specified install's. If you want to install a ASHP then make it the prime heat source. Have it designed properly and installed properly then you can claim the RHI on every KW.

Reply to air source advise/instalation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock