Search the forum,

Discuss Air in towel radiator in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Our upstairs towel radiator keeps filling with air at the top. We had a new system boiler, new tank and new pipework fitted in October. The new tank is in the garage which is underneath the house and the new boiler is in the kitchen at ground floor level. We also had underfloor heating installed in our kitchen, the manifold is in the garage under the house. The 3 towel radiators come on when either the hot water is on or the underfloor heating is on, but not when the other radiators are on. We keep needing to let air out of the upstairs towel radiator and top the boiler up with water at the same time. The pipes in the walls and under the floors are no longer easily accessible. Where is the air coming from and how do we fix it? Please help!

I take it you are not getting any drop in pressure between bleeding the towel rad?

I have heard of pumps being able to suck air into a heating system. Maybe some other old hands can comment? I believe its usually via the TRV's

I doubt a leak sealer would help and its probably not a good idea to turn the pump speed down.

A dirty fix might me to install a mini auto air vent on the rad. I have seen these the same size/shape as a regular radiator vemt.

I take it you are not getting any drop in pressure between bleeding the towel rad?

I have heard of pumps being able to suck air into a heating system. Maybe some other old hands can comment? I believe its usually via the TRV's

I doubt a leak sealer would help and its probably not a good idea to turn the pump speed down.

A dirty fix might me to install a mini auto air vent on the rad. I have seen these the same size/shape as a regular radiator vemt.
Hi Jerry, thank you. We bled them again at the weekend but instead of bleeding them first we tried turning the water feed to the boiler on first and the pressure dial did go up when we did this (it was still above the minimum before opening the tap on the water feed). Does this mean air is getting in via the pump?

Alladin auto air vents in the towel rails will expel any air , is there enough expansion for the heating ? the expansion vessel in the system boiler is only enough for 6 -8 medium size rads you may well need a extra one fitted if you have more than this ? a good quality system inhibitor is needed to protect against corrosion within the system which itself can cause symptoms similar to build up of air when in reality its not . Kop

Alladin auto air vents in the towel rails will expel any air , is there enough expansion for the heating ? the expansion vessel in the system boiler is only enough for 6 -8 medium size rads you may well need a extra one fitted if you have more than this ? a good quality system inhibitor is needed to protect against corrosion within the system which itself can cause symptoms similar to build up of air when in reality its not . Kop
Thank you Kop. No, we don’t have an extra one. The boiler runs the underfloor heating, 10 radiators (some rooms have more than one rad in) and 3 towel rails. All the pipes are new apart from the pipes to the radiators. We don’t seem to have air in the radiators that we’ve noticed, just the towel rails. The plumber said he put inhibitor in so hope that side of things is ok.

Thank you Kop. No, we don’t have an extra one. The boiler runs the underfloor heating, 10 radiators (some rooms have more than one rad in) and 3 towel rails. All the pipes are new apart from the pipes to the radiators. We don’t seem to have air in the radiators that we’ve noticed, just the towel rails. The plumber said he put inhibitor in so hope that side of things is ok.
Does the towel rail system need to be drained in order to fit the auto air vents?

You need another expansion vessel for a start👍, then fit the vents they are easy to do isolate your valves open the air vent on the towel rail make sure you have something to soak up the water should it be pressurised up, I like to leave the manual air vent in and put the alladin one where it's blanked off once complete it's a matter of turning back on 👍. Kop

No I’m
You need another expansion vessel for a start👍, then fit the vents they are easy to do isolate your valves open the air vent on the towel rail make sure you have something to soak up the water should it be pressurised up, I like to leave the manual air vent in and put the alladin one where it's blanked off once complete it's a matter of turning back on 👍. Kop
Thank you 👍

Can you post a picture of it please , i would say thats the expansion vessel for the unvented cylinder they are usually white or blue? the heating ones are normally red or grey ? it should look like below

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190611-073245_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20190611-073245_Photos.jpg
    269.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 20180413_152919.jpg
    20180413_152919.jpg
    294.9 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Can you post a picture of it please , i would say thats the expansion vessel for the unvented cylinder they are usually white or blue? the heating ones are normally red or grey ? it should look like below
Thanks for your help. It’s white…here’s photos of all the new stuff installed…

Attachments

• 73B06670-0D81-4656-8099-B14E9D6D71A6.jpeg
    73B06670-0D81-4656-8099-B14E9D6D71A6.jpeg
    601.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 7A2CC04A-1DE0-4ADB-BCB5-43E3DEB82A4E.jpeg
    7A2CC04A-1DE0-4ADB-BCB5-43E3DEB82A4E.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 4C50FB90-374F-4824-A265-DB2EECBA1CC7.jpeg
    4C50FB90-374F-4824-A265-DB2EECBA1CC7.jpeg
    480.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 673C3180-9B5B-4C41-8173-1CB2CB9E7660.jpeg
    673C3180-9B5B-4C41-8173-1CB2CB9E7660.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 16
As I thought thats for the unvented cylinder it says on the label for sanitary application you need a 10 litre one fitting in the return pipework back to the boiler it should be lagged up aswell

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220223-213315.png
    Screenshot_20220223-213315.png
    571.2 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
As I thought thats for the unvented cylinder it says on the label for sanitary application you need a 10 litre one fitting in the return pipework back to the boiler it should be lagged up aswell
Ok thanks, we need a 10l expansion vessel? What should be lagged, the expansion vessel itself or the pipework or both? Although the tank etc is in the garage, it is an internal garage and is surprisingly warm.

How many radiators do you have and any big ones eg over 1.4m

Unless you have a pretty accurate idea of the pipe sized and length of runs in the system you would just be guessing. This is something your installer should have been aware of and considered at design stage. 10 litres is probably enough, King Of Pipes knows his stuff so I’m not going to argue with him but I’d hate for a 20 to go in and then discover you needed a bit more.

10 radiators (5 are over 1.4m), 3 towel rails (& underfloor heating in one room). Potential loft conversion in the future which would be 2-3 extra radiators & 1 extra towel rail. So the extra expansion vessel should stop air getting in completely?

18l should be fine the standard vessel eg inside the boiler is 10l

It’s something they should of been aware of. All system/combi boilers only come with a reasonably small vessel. Quite often the system volume is too much for a standard fitted vessel. A few factors help arrive at a suitable size. System volume, operating temperatures, min and max running pressure. The maths enables you to arrive at an accurate answer for that current system but there is no such thing as too large a vessel, the only problem is additional cost for larger than needed vessels and siting them.
As for the air problem. You did reply to my previous comment about plastic pipe. I would like to think it’s barrier pipe that’s been used?

It’s something they should of been aware of. All system/combi boilers only come with a reasonably small vessel. Quite often the system volume is too much for a standard fitted vessel. A few factors help arrive at a suitable size. System volume, operating temperatures, min and max running pressure. The maths enables you to arrive at an accurate answer for that current system but there is no such thing as too large a vessel, the only problem is additional cost for larger than needed vessels and siting them.
As for the air problem. You did reply to my previous comment about plastic pipe. I would like to think it’s barrier pipe that’s been used?

Ok thanks, could the lack of a second vessel be causing the air intake? I have a photo of the plastic pipes..the horizontal sections lead to a towel rail on the other side of the wall, the rest of the pipework outside of this photo is copper.

Attachments

• 442F3747-C9AD-474A-A65F-CE90566266D6.jpeg
    442F3747-C9AD-474A-A65F-CE90566266D6.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 20
Ok thanks, could the lack of a second vessel be causing the air intake? I have a photo of the plastic pipes..the horizontal sections lead to a towel rail on the other side of the wall, the rest of the pipework outside of this photo is copper.
Better quality photo…

Attachments

• 321F3519-E656-4759-A8AC-121C7F8A4198.jpeg
    321F3519-E656-4759-A8AC-121C7F8A4198.jpeg
    627.3 KB · Views: 18
No the lack of an additional vessel is not going to be the cause of air ingress. A poorly positioned pump in relation to vessel location can cause frequent venting of radiators but that’s a pressure problem and not air ingress.
I honestly can’t identify that plastic pipe.

No the lack of an additional vessel is not going to be the cause of air ingress. A poorly positioned pump in relation to vessel location can cause frequent venting of radiators but that’s a pressure problem and not air ingress.
I honestly can’t identify that plastic pipe.
Ok thanks. I’m assuming the pump is in our garage with the tank?….the boiler is up one floor & approx 9m away horizontally.

Overall your installation seems ok it's easy to criticize and we all have our working practices , I personally don't think the use of plastic pipe is a cause of air ingress it looks like speed fit pipe and fittings that have been used which are reliable and have been used widely for years , any pipework around the cylinder hot or cold should be insulated as should any pipework in cold areas and voids , your heating pump will be inside your boiler casing the property seems like a large family home and a system boiler with a internal pump wouldn't of been my choice as these boilers struggle to move the volume of water in the system and absorb the expansion there are ways to improve this and I can see why maybe it was fitted because there is not much space , has the system always been problematic ? is the work completed ? we could advise ways to improve your system but it's really the installers responsibility to make sure its commissioned and working correctly you plan to extend your home further and this without doubt will cause more problems unless improvements are made . Regards kop 👍

Last edited:
Overall your installation seems ok it's easy to criticize and we all have our working practices , I personally don't think the use of plastic pipe is a cause of air ingress it looks like speed fit pipe and fittings that have been used which are reliable and have been used widely for years , any pipework around the cylinder hot or cold should be insulated as should any pipework in cold areas and voids , your heating pump will be inside your boiler casing the property seems like a large family home and a system boiler with a internal pump wouldn't of been my choice as these boilers struggle to move the volume of water in the system and absorb the expansion there are ways to improve this and I can see why maybe it was fitted because there is not much space , has the system always been problematic ? is the work completed ? we could advise ways to improve your system but it's really the installers responsibility to make sure its commissioned and working correctly you plan to extend your home further and this without doubt will cause more problems unless improvements are made . Regards kop 👍

Thanks kop. Which boiler should we have had? Prior to this we had a standard boiler & hot water tank (not pressurised system) & had no problems. We went for system as we were told it was better for 2+ bathrooms (we have 2 bathrooms at the moment). We were told our old boiler probably couldn’t handle the underfloor heating. So if we get another expansion vessel fitted is this enough? We can lag the visible pipework ourselves, under the floors is a bit tricky now. Is there anything else that needs changing? Is the likely cause of the air ingress a leak or is there anything else we could do to try to stop the air getting in?

Reply to Air in towel radiator in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock