Search the forum,

Discuss Air in pipes? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

For years now probably decades we have experienced intermittant noise, loud humming, in water pipes. The noise may go away for weeks at a time and then come back with a vengeance. Given up trying to get someone to take a look as it doesnt do it to order although Water Authority did take a look some time a go and reckon its air trapped in pipes.

So if we accept that it is likely to be air in pipes is there any gizmo that we can permanently fit to the pipework which will continuously bleed air from the pipes?

Our bungalow stands at the end of the main water pipe joined for a length of approx 200 metres by our underground private water pipe 3/4 inch I think and ducted running from bungalow to mains. We have had this set up for some 40 years and apart from the noise no problem.

Any advice gratefully received.

I wouldn't know where to start without experiencing it.
Is it completely random or does it only happen when your using water?
I've had noise in pipes due to something as simple as a loose tap washer or as awkward as a service valve in the road fitted backwards...

Hi Knappers. Pretty sure its not random and only happens when drawing off water. We live on a ridge and our water has always come from a reservoir on same elevation about half a mile away as crow flies managed by Water Authority. This reservoir is fed by another couple hundred feet below. Many years ago when the Water Authority cleaned out the reservoir huge amounts of air/grit used to come out of the rising mains but for years now this has not been a problem. I am sure there is a correlation between Water Board doing work on the mains and the noise although I cant prove it. Recently they phoned up to ask if we had experienced a serious drop in pressure. I said we hadnt but obviously something was going on!! Strange as for months we can go without a problem presumedly because there is no air in the system until there is.

Been reading about Automatic Air Release Valves/Automatic Air Vents (AAV) but these seem to be recommended for central heating systems. I was wondering if these could also be fitted to the domestic water system? As we live in a bungalow highest point is cold tank. Would certainly be a simple solution rather than the faff of bleeding the system every time although like everything I understand they can get stuck and let water through as well as air!

Perhaps you or someone has used these valves successfully in water system.

Many thanks

Reply to Air in pipes? in the Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock