Search the forum,

Discuss AIR IN HOT WATER SYSTEM in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello,

I have already posted about this in a previous thread but it got hi jacked a little.

I have a regular boiler with a header tank in the loft and the hot water is supplied by a cylinder. I drained the hot water system by turning mains feed off and turning hot taps on and draining the tank.

I refilled left the hot water taps open until all hot water taps were running and shut them of starting with the kitchen first but there is air in the system, you can see it when running the bathroon hot tap, air bubbles pushing out the tap, see video.

Thanks

Dropbox - 20190718_063042.mp4 - Simplify your life

Is the tank is of adequate size and the ball tap flowing well enough?

That could be a few things and difficult to diagnose from here but it it looks like it might be pulling air in the vent.

Are there any obvious high points that shouldn't be there?

Two methods.

1) suck it through with a wet vac.

2) blow it back up and out the vent pipe with mains pressure

(either via the mixer tap if it has cold mains to it, or using a hose and suitable connector - may have to be Heath Robinson due to shape of spout)

But to be honest what you show in the video wouldn’t bother me, as long as water comes out when needed at an acceptable rate - that’ll do me.

Is the tank is of adequate size and the ball tap flowing well enough?

That could be a few things and difficult to diagnose from here but it it looks like it might be pulling air in the vent.

Are there any obvious high points that shouldn't be there?

I assume the tank is of adequate size it was there prior to moving in, how do I check this?

When you say ball tap do you mean the isolation valve to the feed to the bottom of the cylinder?

Thanks

Two methods.

1) suck it through with a wet vac.

2) blow it back up and out the vent pipe with mains pressure

(either via the mixer tap if it has cold mains to it, or using a hose and suitable connector - may have to be Heath Robinson due to shape of spout)

But to be honest what you show in the video wouldn’t bother me, as long as water comes out when needed at an acceptable rate - that’ll do me.

Do you do it on the bathroom mixer or on the kitchmixer and leave the up stairs hot water basin side running? or do you directly do it from the tap I am having issues with?

Thanks

Unscrew the tap nozzle (filter/aerator) first to see if the increase flow will clear it or effect the flow rate.
Even if not, it will make it easier to cover the hole with your hand. Open the hot tap first followed by the cold, if there is a greater pressure on the cold side it will push up the hot & hopefully clear any air.
Reverse the process i.e. turn off cold first then hot, or you will get wet.

Unscrew the tap nozzle (filter/aerator) first to see if the increase flow will clear it or effect the flow rate.
Even if not, it will make it easier to cover the hole with your hand. Open the hot tap first followed by the cold, if there is a greater pressure on the cold side it will push up the hot & hopefully clear any air.
Reverse the process i.e. turn off cold first then hot, or you will get wet.

Think we may have established he’s got a high pressure tap operating on a low pressure system. :rolleyes:

Reply to AIR IN HOT WATER SYSTEM in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock