Search the forum,

Discuss Air conditioning unit fitted. Now external Pipework looks an eyesore. How to I hide? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

365drills

Just fitted an air conditioning unit to the bedroom.

(Yes the 1.5 days of sunshine prompted me to part with £250 at B&Q for one)

But the external pipework is looking a bit of an eyesore...

6375_96892837013_617362013_2068439_3233210_n.jpg

Inside I have squirted "No more big gaps" into the 80mm hole. Then re-papered.

6375_96892847013_617362013_2068440_3407860_n.jpg

But now my outside pipe work looks a bit of a right old eye-sore so I wanted ideas on any ways to conceal it?

Is there any company out there that does a brick coloured cover?

Had a few "comments" from the neighbours...

Re: Air conditioning unit fitted. Now external Pipework looks an eyesore. How to I hi

Can you not fit the pipework in the same invisible guttering down pipe you seem to have used :D

But that is what I would use a length of white square down pipe run from bottom of eves to top of unit ,matching existing that is at present missing ( I hope )and incorportate a/c pipework inside
just split back to allow a/c pipework to fit in

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Air conditioning unit fitted. Now external Pipework looks an eyesore. How to I hi

Can I ask why the external unit is lower down than the pipework?

I dont fit Air con units so please excuse me if I am overlooking anything

Otherwise I'd just pop some brown plastic covering over the pipework

good idea there have to say that does look preety ugly
not sure air con units have ever been that attractive anyway and for the amount of days sunshine we get i wldnt have bothered

it would have looked better internally if youd taken it up into the loft the out thru the soffit
easiest lob in the world is being a critic

With your remark about £250 thought would have a look

Cost now down to £200.00 for 17,000 btu

[DLMURL="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9333253&fh_view_size=10&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b9372015%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9372041%7d&fh_refview=lister&ts=1247338380972&isSearch=false"]Airforce Easy Fit Split Box Climate Control 17,000 BTU, 0000003414880[/DLMURL]

They have a 12,000 btu model for £ 125
[DLMURL="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9333249&fh_view_size=10&fh_eds=%3f&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB%2fcategories%3c%7b9372015%7d%2fcategories%3c%7b9372041%7d&fh_refview=lister&ts=1247338618923&isSearch=false"]Airforce Professional Wall Mounted Split Air Conditioner 12,000 BTU, 0000003414842[/DLMURL]

might be tempted :)

easiest job in the world is being a critic

is that curtain rail level :D

curiosity peaked up, are they reverse cycle - ie heating as well as cooling ?

ta.
shaun

Hi Get your self a length of square line gutter (White or brown) cut to the length of unit to sofit, Drill say three holes centre along length, straddle pipes, mark wall to aline with holes in gutter. Drill and plug holes in brickwork and screw gutter on using say 5" screws. (Try and miss the pipes) Good Luck

To answer all questions. The unit is a split unit and the base or external section has to be at least 1.4m lower than the internal unit.

The pipework cant go up into the ceiling void and then down because it would trap condensation and moisture.

If you look you can see two pipes. One is the refrigerant pipe and the second is a drain from the internal unit. If the drain pipe was not pointing down then water gets trapped. They show a pipe drop.

The refrigerant pipe is 4m long and is pre-filled with gas and liquid. The idea is that you snap it to the external unit in one go like a Propane Gas bottle fitting. Then the system is charged and ready go.

The contents of that cream sleeve is actually copper pipes that can bend a little but are pre-filled and charged with the refrigerant. Quite delicate. If your external unit is less than 4m then you cant cut them. You have to loop or snake them.

Thanks for the advice to move the gutter downpipe along to cover the pipes. I had removed it to start the fixing but it might make sense to change the exit on the gutter so that it falls with the a/c pipes and helps conceal them. Thanks!

Grrrrrr thanks for showing me the new B&Q prices Puddle....
I am furious that having just bought the unit at half price down from £500 to £250 that they have decided to go 75% off and go to £125.

Yes its the same unit so it looks like a genuine bargain for you guys. So if you are wanting a unit then £125 is about as low as it gets. I wonder if I can take my reciept back to B&Q and argue with them... I feel cheated!! (Boo Hoo). Why does this always happen to me!!!

Migoplumber. Yes its reverse cycle so if you want heat from it then - bingo. It works.

Would not move the existing down pipe but fit another over a/c pipework

About price have heard stories of people buying another unit now at lower price and then taking unit back but with old higher price reciept from item purchased before sale and getting refund on the higher price receipt,I would not do this or advise it but just thought I would tell story about how bad people can be and the argument that bq has alot more money than me is unacceptable :D

Go to climate center, HSP or any air con supplier they will have a range of trunking to cover pipework. The pipework cannot go up from into the loft as its a gravity drain although you can get pumps to pump condensate upwards, Not recommended in bedroom due to noise.

Sorry meant HPS!

Last edited:

just ordered 2 from that horrible shop, delivered to my door including carriage 265 quid. grab a bargain while you can.

i shall temporarily stop cursing about paying 2quid for 4 mirror screws!

shaun

Well it lnow looks like B&Q are all out on that offer.

If you try and add to basket then its not happening.

[DLMURL="http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9333249"]I clicked and checked it out[/DLMURL] (but still sore about losing money!)

So it seems the offer of a/c for £125 quid has gone?

Went to a local printer and had them knock me up a brick print. Made a frame and then concealed pipes.

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/panel1.jpg

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/panel2.jpg

So, thats what they mean by saying, you have to think outside the box:D

Wow initiative at its best you should be proud of that

Hope the ink does run in the rain though

I reckon if you went in and kicked up a little fuss they'd happily do it. They do anything to shut people up. And they probably wouldnt be losing out. Worth doing for that money i think.
As for the pipes, id say trunking could look just as bad and id just clip them both down level and be done with it.

ops didnt see the laters posts, nice job

Last edited:

Cheers guys!

6375_101105632013_617362013_2132981_3798344_n.jpg

Hopefully that will calm the neigbours!

To answer all questions. The unit is a split unit and the base or external section has to be at least 1.4m lower than the internal unit.

The pipework cant go up into the ceiling void and then down because it would trap condensation and moisture.

If you look you can see two pipes. One is the refrigerant pipe and the second is a drain from the internal unit. If the drain pipe was not pointing down then water gets trapped. They show a pipe drop.

The refrigerant pipe is 4m long and is pre-filled with gas and liquid. The idea is that you snap it to the external unit in one go like a Propane Gas bottle fitting. Then the system is charged and ready go.

The contents of that cream sleeve is actually copper pipes that can bend a little but are pre-filled and charged with the refrigerant. Quite delicate. If your external unit is less than 4m then you cant cut them. You have to loop or snake them.

Thanks for the advice to move the gutter downpipe along to cover the pipes. I had removed it to start the fixing but it might make sense to change the exit on the gutter so that it falls with the a/c pipes and helps conceal them. Thanks!

Grrrrrr thanks for showing me the new B&Q prices Puddle.... I am furious that having just bought the unit at half price down from £500 to £250 that they have decided to go 75% off and go to £125.

Yes its the same unit so it looks like a genuine bargain for you guys. So if you are wanting a unit then £125 is about as low as it gets. I wonder if I can take my reciept back to B&Q and argue with them... I feel cheated!! (Boo Hoo). Why does this always happen to me!!!

Migoplumber. Yes its reverse cycle so if you want heat from it then - bingo. It works.

Hello All

Can you please let me know if this is 9000 BTU or 12000 BTU, the one I have bought, the pipes exit from the left of the indoor unit and your pipes show exiting from the right of the indoor unit.

Thanks

better to drop the pipes inside and drill at low level.
it could have save installing your artwork

question did you get planning for this

Hi yes its possible to unclip and bend the pipes in this unit so that they exit from the right instead of the left. When the unit arrives the pipes are pre-bent to exit from the left so you have to force them.

But with some courage you can bend then 180 degees fully so they exit the right if thats what you want. Of course you can also bend them 90 and that means the pipes exit the wall behind the wall.

I did consider chasing the bedroom wall and having the pipes exit lower but the upheaval and the dust kind of put me off. Plus the agro of replastering that internal wall. And then the redecoration.

6375_96892837013_617362013_2068439_3233210_n.jpg

It was easier to go for the straight exit out. Also those internal walls are not breeze block but solid thick cement blocks from the 1960's I am not sure what chaos would ensue if I had cut them out with a cold chisel.

Planning Permission?

http://www.*********.com/jpgs/tumbleweed.gif
Yes of course...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Air conditioning unit fitted. Now external Pipework looks an eyesore. How to I hide? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock