Search the forum,

Discuss Air being sucked into system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rybo_1

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Evening.

Arrived at a job today to change a couple of radiators and try and solve the problem where air seems to be being sucked into the system.

Ive attached a photo to show current layout. I'm thinking of either moving the cold feed to after the vent and before pump (preferred) or combining cold feed and vent as a last resort. The pump sounds very airy and the customer is having to vent all the upstairs radiators monthly.

There is a small leak on one radiator. One that I am changing tomorrow. This is an old cottage

any advice on the problem would be very much appreciated.

DEEFE260-726A-4D65-9E4B-5724E0FDBE58_zps2qrmkidc.jpg

If you can get the cold feed into the right place (like you suggested)that would be a start. What boiler is In there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Get the cold feed in the right position. Failing that put a sealed system in (check there is no pipe work in solid floors and have a disclaimer written up saying you won't cover old pipe work)

also looks like something has been leaking above/on the 3-port valve

Sealed system not really an option here. Downstairs heating circuit all in screed and its an old system, I reckon it would pop in numerous places.

Update;

I decided to see if combining cold feed and vent would make it run any better. Seems to have worked, pump was running super quietly and a day later the customer is really happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Air being sucked into system? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I recently installed new hot and cold feeds to a new downstairs cloakroom. After refilling the system the hot taps were all dribbling, spluttering and showing signs of an air lock. I attached cold mains to a hot tap and left it running for 15 minutes, while opening up each hot tap. They all...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I would say my overall knowledge is not great as I did most of the 4 years working on rinse and repeat estates of houses. I was also quite young and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is unvented and pressurised. The cold water feed into this cylinder is from the attic tank, not the mains as I turned off the mains stopcock to see if hot...
Replies
Views
Oil boiler (now~15 years old) unvented system with 17 radiators. We moved in 5 years ago and I had to keep bleeding the same radiator. The bleed gas could be burned with a blue flame and the water was acidic (pH 5.5). Since then system has been chemically flushed (it was not too bad) and the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Short version: Do frost protection valves trigger when the water in the pipe gets to threshold, or when the air temp drops? Long version: I'd rather use frost protection + anti-freeze cycle on my mitsubishi ecodan heat pump. The warranty is apparently fine with that combination, and it...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock