Search the forum,

Discuss Air Admittance valve on long shower waste in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi

I'm adding a shower in my loft and the waste is going to be long one, routing downstairs into the 40mm waste after the bath, and the advice seems that I'll need an AAV at the top of the run.
It'll look a bit like the attached ASCII art.

Yes I realise the vertical drops aren't ideal but there really isn't any alternative.
Normally I understand the AAV should be on a 200mm vertical stub pipe off a tee on the shower waste but that is going to be rather problematic as I'd have to build a maintenance access panel in the shower enclosure studwork. I understand that BS EN 12380 A1-rated AAVs can be installed below the flood level of connected appliances ( I'm not sure how this relates to a shower tray waste) but how far below can they go? McAlpine mentioned the spill over level - is this the same as the flood level? I was hoping to tee off in the cupboard below the loft floor and then have the AAV on a vertical stub pipe accessible from there. Or does it really have to go above the shower waste, even if it's A1 rated?
All the advice I've seen mentions basins as being the flood level but nothing about shower only wastes.

Also what determines the size of AAV in terms of air flow ? Is it just whatever fits the appropriate pipework or are there other considerations e.g. flow rate of waste water or waste pipe length? Should I be considering >40mm AAV?

Any suggestions gratefully received.
[automerge]1584187502[/automerge]
Slightly better diagram

Attachments

• shower pipework.jpg
    shower pipework.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 28
  • shower waste schematic 2.png
    shower waste schematic 2.png
    35.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I think the AAV will be the least of your problems.
From what I can gather, you intend to run @ 12m of 40mm pipe from your shower, tee into a 40mm pipe and then into a stack.

It might work if the people who use the shower are hairless and don't use soap.

You need to get a bigger drain pipe to as close to the shower as possible.

Tx, I can certainly put up a notice. Just like I do with the Saniflo ... ;-)

I could run 50mm for the first 5 or possibly 8m but how would that help exactly? Is it the vertical sections that are problematic or just that it's a long run?

Reply to Air Admittance valve on long shower waste in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

In the photo there is a grey 32mm push fit elbow between the sink trap and down pipe. I want to replace the elbow with a "male" push fit tee attached to an air admittance valve to stop gurgling noises. I can't find a tee fitting that description, can anybody offer a solution as you can see space...
Replies
Views
Hello. This is my first ever post asking for help. I had a bathroom renovation done early this year which I did myself. I wanted to have a low level shower tray sitting flush to the ground and was not able to get access to the main vented stack as it's boxed in from the inside of the house and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building...
Replies
Views
Total refit of of bathroom. I've got a 40mm waste from the shower running beneath the floorboards to an external wall and out. Just above where the pipe exits is where the obvious place for the bath waste to exit as well. Should I use separate waste pipes for the bath and the shower or can the...
Replies
Views
Morning all, as always can never find an exact existing thread / discussion where I don't feel like I'm making one too many assumptions. Can I get a quick sense check on the below, always wanting to work 1 step ahead, eventually planning to add an en-suite to my existing loft conversion. Got...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock