Search the forum,

Discuss air activation valve install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

angellonewolf

i have in my house a soil vent pipe that vent straight out the roof i am redoing the bathroom at the moment and want to ideally remove the top part of the vent and install a air admittance valve about half way up the wall above the highest u bend in the sink

we have 7 or 8 houses on my side of the street and this is the only soil vent pipe in my house to the outside.All of the other houses are using the same normal soil vent pipe from reading up on it ? you only need 1 in 5 or 1 in 7 to have a vent to the outside in a run ?

but what do i need to know before if i can install it

thanks for any help angel

ps can post a pic if it helps later ?

Last edited by a moderator:
yep you can possibly remove it, but when you get issues later on with blocked drains what you going to do then. In gthe perfect world your house builder did the right thing and your property had its own vent pipe, because your builder knew a thing or two. Houses that share vent pipes inevitably get blocked drains

i have in my house a soil vent pipe that vent straight out the roof i am redoing the bathroom at the moment and want to ideally remove the top part of the vent and install a air admittance valve about half way up the wall above the highest u bend in the sink

we have 7 or 8 houses on my side of the street and this is the only vent pipe in my house to the outside but all of the other houses are using the normal vent pipe from reading up on it ? you only need 1 in 5 or 1 in 7 to have a vent to the outside ?

but what do i need to know before if i can install it

thanks for any help angel

ps can post a pic if it helps later ?
Yeah durgo valves are ok but some times the flap inside can stick open ( letting smells out), make sure you can always get to it. it should be above the highest overflow point, that'll be the basin overflow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am no expert on this but the old memory banks tell me no dont do it, because your open vent is there to vent your side of the street. I am sure somebody will be along soon to say I am talking bolloc*s as usual

Just re-read what you wrote, what do you mean by yours vents outside and the rest are using 'the normal vent pipe,.?

Yeah durgo valves are ok but some times the flap inside can stick open ( letting smells out), make sure you can always get to it. it should be above the highest overflow point, that'll be the basin overflow.

It must be above the highest spill over point . So 25mm above the highest sink rim or toilet pan connected to it.

Take vent pipe out through wall and up outside of house, no need for a dirgo and no blocked drains.

if indeed yours is the only vent on the street then no you cant fit one, 5 houses to 10 need a vent to outside furthest from the main drain and 10 or more need vents in the middle of the run aswell.

i hate durgos with a vengeance we had near perfect drains 60 years ago and the model hyas been changed over the years for thesole reason of cost and making house building more profitable
drains never used to smell unless they were blocked now they stink all the time

thanks for all the replys sorry was at work and could not reply

here is a few pics to help hopefully

one pic is a hand written pic to show diagram of street and relation to my house the dark line is the sewer and pipes to each house

the other pic is a pic of the bathroom

i cant move the pipe outside as there is a garage in the way so any movement would have to be inside of the house or a air vent if poss but i dont like the idea of a blocking regularly if that what it will cause

ps i am very good at diy and have unblocked drains and moving pipes so any of that should not be a problem

Attachments

• IMG_0522[1].jpg
    IMG_0522[1].jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0523[1].jpg
    IMG_0523[1].jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0524[1].jpg
    IMG_0524[1].jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 5
i mean all of the houses on my side of the street are built the same as mine all have a soil vent pipe built in to the bathroom and then out of the roof

thanks angel

i have posted a few pics with luck to help in seeing what my setup is

one pic is a drawing to show my house in the street the dark lines are the soil pipe then 2nd pic is a pic of the bathroom

my house is the same as all the houses on my side of the street all of us have each one soil pipe to each house and all have one vent pipe 5 or 6 inch through the bathroom and out through the ceiling and out the roof linking bath toilet and sink and down stairs kitchen and 2nd toilet in the front of the house

thanks for any help

Attachments

• IMG_0524[1].jpg
    IMG_0524[1].jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0523[1].jpg
    IMG_0523[1].jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_0522[1].jpg
    IMG_0522[1].jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 3

This seems alot of effort and expense for no gain at all and possible future problems.

If you need to fill your weekend you could try golf or gardening perhaps.

if i go down the way of leaving the pipe as it is a bit later on in the year i will be installing a on suite on the main bedroom and will have to pull apart the soil pipe to add in another hole a bit lower down and run a pipe across the ceiling to the middle of the house how do you pull the pipe apart with out desturbing the vent bit on the roof or if i have to pull apart will i need to get on the roof and remove the vent part first ?

thanks for the help angel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to air activation valve install in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and just some background on myself. I have 4 years experience as a plumber but haven't worked in the trade in 15 years. I would say my overall knowledge is not great as I did most of the 4 years working on rinse and repeat estates of houses. I was also quite young and...
Replies
Views
First of all, apologies, it seems this topic has been posted but don't believe my specific issue is covered. So been living in my Victorian house for almost 10 years, no issues. Have 2 bathrooms, 2 loos that all go to a large underground soakaway, I believe. I can only see one soil vent pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! Our main stopcock is weeping. I phoned the water company, first-person thought it was their problem as it was on the 'outside' of the water meter. Then another person called me to schedule a visit and they told me that its not their problem as both the water meter and the leaky stopcock are...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock