Search the forum,

Discuss Aga oil conversion - what happens when oil runs out? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I have a very dumb question - being totally new to Aga's - so please be kind!

We have recently bought a house/project. It came with an old Series 2 Aga (pre 1972 as far as I understand) that was converted at some point to oil - using the BM valve. We've had someone look at it, clean it out, and it seems to be burning fine.

Now we're not at the house at the moment. The Aga is (I believe) burbling away. The oil is currently low. What happens when the oil runs out. I assume the flame goes out, and you may get air locks, crap in the oil feed. OK I can understand that.

BUT I have ordered some more oil to be delivered. If this gets put in and then gravity does its thing and delivers oil to the BM valve then does it go onto the burner and floods the kitchen with oil it until someone manually turns the supply off???

Or is there some form of safety latch/lock-out mechanism?

The BM valve will lock out to stop the burner being flooded. Without stating the obvious old AGA’s can be difficult to restart if they have left to “burn dry”

Yes if the oil runs low the burner will gradually die out. Whenever an oil appliance runs out of fuel then filters etc need to be checked yes. It might need bleeding but Aga and Rayburn etc require a minimum of 450mm head so the majority of your fuel line will probably have fuel in it, just not enough to reach the OCV on cooker.
If the flame goes out due to no fuel and then you're away when the tank is filled then fuel will reach the OCV and into burner, through capillary action it will rise up burner and as you say flood into combustion chamber over time so someone needs to return to the house to isolate the fuel to burner, alternatively re light it. If through capillary action you do start flooding the chamber this will obviously leave oil in the bottom, it also seeps into the insulation etc creating a very dangerous possibility. At best you would just have a lot of smoke when re lighting, I have however heard of situations where this happened to such an extent that it was over 50K in damage to property by the time everything was rectified.
Like I said, return to the property, turn knob to 0 and flick the lever on the BM up.

Reply to Aga oil conversion - what happens when oil runs out? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock