Search the forum,

Discuss Aga loud bang then yellow water in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks I have a gravity feed Aga twice in the last week a very loud bang came out of it, not from the fire box (its oil fired) but from the hot water side i immediately ran the hot tap and the water was yellow for a time then went clear, i am thinking a valve is sticking somewhere anyone had this problem and know which valve it could be or if its anything else
Olly

So i assume its a gravity fed and feeding just hot water? No heating?
Where did the bangs originate from? In the burner chamber or the hot water cylinder?
For safety's sake I suggest turning the oil off at the OCV until someone can find and rectify the problem.

Thanks for your replies. i did turn it off strait away and had a good look today it only heats water and the bang came from the water chamber the fact that the water then went yellow i agree would suggest it was boiling or very close i cant find a blow off valve or outlet pipe or anything to stop it exploding should get to hot as far as i can see its a completely sealed system this makes no sense to me as far as i am concerned its a time bomb so for the moment its staying off any more advice would be appreciated

So this is a vaporising sleeve burner on a completely sealed system? No header tanks in the loft? This is installed wrong and dangerous as you say.
Are you sure its not a primatic cylinder?

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies. i did turn it off strait away and had a good look today it only heats water and the bang came from the water chamber the fact that the water then went yellow i agree would suggest it was boiling or very close i cant find a blow off valve or outlet pipe or anything to stop it exploding should get to hot as far as i can see its a completely sealed system this makes no sense to me as far as i am concerned its a time bomb so for the moment its staying off any more advice would be appreciated
Get a professional in to take a look it sounds dangerous to to me . Kop

Reply to Aga loud bang then yellow water in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Can anyone help me with an ongoing issue I've had since I had an annual service on my combi boiler, which is a Potterton Performa 24. Literally after they left I started experiencing yellow water (pale) from all my taps - hot and cold, including the toilet. This was intermittent and then...
Replies
Views
Desperate for some help! Be a life saver of someone can help as suffer from a high intolerance to noise. Moved into new house 1940s (copper pipes) and having serious issues with banging pipes only when central heating is on. Not when running taps We have a wall in living room that has stop tap...
Replies
Views
Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
    • Love
I recently moved to a house with an oil fired Aga. After it sooted up, I adjusted the settings on the BM-30 type oil control valve but am struggling to get it settled again. The Aga is overheating even when the low fire is set at the lowest setting. I couldn't find a clear set of instructions...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock