Search the forum,

Discuss Advise Please - Tap 20 tooth tap gland packs? Sizing ?? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi All

I need to replace a leaking tap (separate, not a monobloc).

I notice screw fix do 3 sizes, 8mm, 9mm and 10.5mm, is this just the diameter of the spline if i measured with vernier calipers?

To me the description seems wrong, 8, 9, 10.5mm would only refer the the actual HEIGHT of the threaded part??

Anyone clarify this and explain what i need to measure on the old gland in order to get the correct size.

Thanks in in advance.

8mm -https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-bsp-quarter-turn-ceramic-ceramic-tap-glands-pack/2611f

9mm -https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-bsp-quarter-turn-ceramic-ceramic-tap-glands-pack/2961f

10.5mm -https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-bsp-quarter-turn-ceramic-ceramic-tap-glands-pack/1908f

Yes it’s the dia of the spline shaft

it is the height of the spline on the top of the shaft, as far as I know, that is only where your problems start, there is different number of splines on the shaft, also different thicknesses of the spline, some plumbers merchants stock various tap valves and you would need to take the exsisting valve and head. or tap magian stock a huge range

Cheers guys, i am aware of the number of splines, just found the listings odd.

So when measuring the diameter includes the spines.

I also presume that as they come in pairs that they are designed for mixer taps and that they will need turning in different directions to open/close?

Can they/one be reversed so they both turn the same direction as i have two separate taps.

@TimmmyD I will remove one later and measure after work and and measure/take some pics next to ruler.

Cheers all.

Yes full od including splines

Correct one is reversed

No you can’t turn on into let’s say a left hand open one

Had time to remove the faulty cartridge/gland earlier, the top bit would not come off, the spline was stuck in the four pronged part you turn, spent ages tapping up but it was seized and in the end snapped, so i presume the other will be the same.....

Managed to remove it when in vice by tapping the x20 tooth bit out and its just held in place in pics below.

Anyone advise of what i need from Screwfix, i presume ceramic valves will be fine as it's a combi fed system.

The total height is approx 8mm, the splines themselves are only 6mm.

Cheers

Attachments

• v1.jpeg
    v1.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 13
  • v2.jpeg
    v2.jpeg
    87.8 KB · Views: 12
Dia of the splines

Dia of the splines

'Doh', total brain lapse on my part...lol

It measures 7.6mm at it's widest part, so i presume it's 8mm and these will fit OK?

Albeit one tap the taps will turn on opposite directions but one review states that the ceramic parts can be reversed?

https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-bsp-quarter-turn-ceramic-ceramic-tap-glands-pack/2611f

Thanks

Then again these are 3/4" BSP bath taps, there was no isolation valves fitted so i just capped of the flexi tail with a 3/4" BSP flanged plug.....?

I notice the listing states 1/2"??

Just want to add that the 8/9/10.5mm is NOT the spline diameter, that is done via the amount of splines.

The measurements refer to total height as seen in diagram below (not just the splines themselves).

As you can see they re all 7.6mm diameter at the splines for a 20 spline, as was mine.

Also the discs can be reversed so you can have both valves turning on the same direction for separate taps.

Cheers

Attachments

• Spline height.jpg
    Spline height.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 10
Yes, i learned that.

Also the Flomasta ones are easily reversible if needs be as i had had too.

Simply pop the end rubber seal off, remove the fixed top white part that is slotted, then remove the 'centre' part that turns 90 degrees and reassemble.

Thanks all for great advice as usual.

Reply to Advise Please - Tap 20 tooth tap gland packs? Sizing ?? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock