Search the forum,

Discuss Advise on wages for bathroom fitter. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi im new to this forum and I'm just looking for abit of advise really

Ive been working for the same company for about 5 years now. Been there through all my apprenticeship. Mainly doing bathroom fitting..
Im 22 years old.
Im a fully qualified nvq 2 plumber. (Been fitting bathrooms on my own since 2015)
I can dry line, dot and dab. Do basic joinery and tile as well as normal plumbing procedures.

I feel im not being paid enough for what i do.. bareing in mind the manual handling of my job.. nearly every job we do we take plaster off and go right back to brick work... so its a really hard working job...

I dont drive so i understand you get more for driving. I get dropped off on the job and get taking back home by the company. As i live local to the company...

I have all my own tools and gear for doing the job, the company just supplies materials..

Im just wondering how much you think i should be getting paid a week for doing such work... i always work late where needed.

Its just for some ideas before i jump the gun about asking for a wage increase.

Cheers guys

Depends how good of a job you do and how valuable you are to your company. Do you get many call backs to your work, do you finish your jobs on time and to a high standard. As above, what you on now? If you really feel your underpaid, have a sit down with your boss, explain how your feel and why you think you deserve more.

I very rarely get call backs.. and always get good reviews about my work from the customers. Jobs are done on time... if not ealier then expected.. and i get 270 a week after tax...

Do you do the entire bathroom or the labouring?

Can you get. Driving licences?

There is only me who is fully qualified

Not a bad rate on the books for Bradford, But if your not happy then as previously suggested you should sit down with your boss and ask to re-negotiate your hourly rate or negotiate a monthly bonus for jobs completed on time and no comeback etc...

Not a bad rate on the books for Bradford, But if your not happy then as previously suggested you should sit down with your boss and ask to re-negotiate your hourly rate or negotiate a monthly bonus for jobs completed on time and no comeback etc...
Or even just giving you your driving license. You may have to sign something to say that you will not leave after you have passed for a couple of years.

Some gas safe guys aren`t earning £15!

I know it all depends on what your company thinks your worth at the end of the day. I know 2 unskilled mates who earn more than trained professionals. Makes you wonder if it is worth all the effort, hard work and training on low wages, only to find out you could possibly get paid more doing an unskilled job.

There is only me who is fully qualified

Out of how many employees, do you have anybody working with you? I`m starting to think you get paid cash in hand until you state the gross figure from your payslip, is so then it changes things doesn`t it.

Or even just giving you your driving license. You may have to sign something to say that you will not leave after you have passed for a couple of years.
I wouldnt leave its a good company
Are you a full time employee with all the benefits or are you only paid for the work you do?
Full time employed

I get 300 pound a week 270 after tax

So about £7.50 an Hour. 12 pence per/hr more than minimum wage. It wouldn't hurt to point this out to your bosses and see what they come up with. Hopefully they will value more than this and offer you a pay increase. Also the National minimum wage is goint up to £7.70p/hr in april so you will get a pay rise then if nowt else..

Just looked up the national minimum rate for a 21-25 year old and it is £7.38 p/hr. 40 hr week = £295.20 before tax & Ni.
So as a fully qualified professional I would say that you should be on at least £9 - £15 p/hr depending on age, experience & driving licence etc...
I feel i should be on at the very least £8.50 and hiur without driving.. its not like ive just come to company ive been for 5 year

Personally I think your getting underpaid, it also depends on what sort of bathrooms your installing, Ask your boss this, if he employed a seperate plumber, tiler and a plaster to do the job, how much would it cost him? If your doing a good job of everything then you should be on more.

Personally I think your getting underpaid, it also depends on what sort of bathrooms your installing, Ask your boss this, if he employed a seperate plumber, tiler and a plaster to do the job, how much would it cost him? If your doing a good job of everything then you should be on more.
Thanks for the advise ill keep that in mind

4th year apprentices are getting that at my place. Not doing much for it either. I would say you are well underpaid
Based in N. Ireland btw

You need to make yourself irreplaceable. Make them need you!
Once you are in this position, you can negotiate for a wage that you are worth. It’s a shame it’s that way. But not many owners will give a rise without you asking for one.
To get a rise, you should go in for a meeting explaining the things you already do,for the company. Then say what you would like to achieve. Driving is the bit where you are loosing out. So instead of a rise, why don’t you say you will commit to the company if they pay £1500 towards your diving lessons and test. That’s a £1.32 an hour rise. After you have been with the company one more year, it’s paid off.
At that point you will be in a better place to negotiate more money.
Good luck

Reply to Advise on wages for bathroom fitter. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock