Search the forum,

Discuss Advise on wages for bathroom fitter. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Are you carrying out private work or is it for councils?

I think the fact you can't drive is having a big impact on your wage, speak to you boss about paying for you driving lessions and taking it out of your wages, I use to do if for all my guys. It means you will save Tax and Ni off the cost of the lessions.

Employees who don't drive can be a burden, I insisted that all my guys started lessions and made it apart of the offer of employment.

Speak with your boss, it's hard to find good employees that deliver a good job and can be trusted not to take the Sod.

Last edited:
At the end of the day, if your boss truly values you, he will listen to your concerns and act on them. Whatever you do though, don't put a gun to his head (because it's illegal :p) and say I'm leaving if you don't up my wage. No employer will back down to an ultimatum, they will fear that if they do, you will keep using it or tell others to do the same.

Thankyou all for the advise
Beg borrow steal or get a bank loan ,and get driving - then go self employed . It’s hard to find someone who’s good at complete bathroom makeovers and you will make a lot of money once you get established . You work hard for a living and deserve to be paid well for it , ring a few bathroom fitters and get quotes for a new fit and this will give you an idea of what you could be earning.

I am based in Buckinghamshire.
If i could find half a dozen guys with your skills and pay them the same wage, I would be cleaning up.
For my area you are underpaid. A fully qualified bathroom fitter who cant afford driving lessons? What happens if one of your expensive tools breaks?
Listen to the older and wiser gentlemen here. Find a better paying job and then negotiate with your emplyer.
if you are living at home or dont haver kids, this is a no brainer. Go self empoloyed

I am not in the trade but from what you say you are young and getting little more than the minimum wage, you provide your own tools. I really think you are being exploited.

See if you can work out how much your boss is making from your labour. See if you can find the cost to the customer of a job, and see if u can work out how many days the job takes. You cost your employer £300 a week + on Costs, NI,Pension contributions then ther is insurance, and transport for you. Say that’s £400 a week. Now there are other costs that you need to earn to keep the business going, and your boss pays those. Premises, office staff, advertising etc etc. It would be possible to make informed guesses and work out approximately how much profit he makes from you a year after all the other costs.

He could easily be making £10k a year from you and each of his employees. Does he work at the job himself?

Are you confident to ask for a rise. Don’t ask, can’t get. Have you got any older relatives you could talk to.

You say you don’t really want to leave ... but you can’t, and stay in the same line of work , as you don’t drive. He knows that and will pay you as little as he can.

Driving qualifications will really help you. But that’s been said before.

Good luck, let us know how you get on.

Reply to Advise on wages for bathroom fitter. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock